Used 2003 Volvo C70 HT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C70 model:

Great Car
By spmoran

2003 Volvo C70 Convertible HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fast, fun and pretty reliable. I've had a few strange things happen. Once the climate control stopped working, but when I got to the dealership it started again and has been fine since. Once the engine light came on but they couldn't figure out why. Someone mentioned that it was because I just got gas. Anyway, it went off and hasn't come on again. Otherwise I've had no problems.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the convertible top! Oh, and that it's fast! Also like the great sound system and the fact that it seats 4 adults comfortably. Great leather interior and very comfortable. And good looking!

Suggested Improvements

Better turn radius, better roof design for rainy weather. Make cup holders a bigger priority. I wouldn't want to give up performance for better gas mileage, but it would be nice to get better mileage.

1972ChevelleMalibu checking in new pass
By TopDown

2003 Volvo C70 Convertible HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

20,500 miles. Not driving as much as I should! Everything on the car is in excellent condition. The only weird thing that happens is sometimes the windshield wipers stop without being all the way down while cleaning. Top is showing some mild discoloration on the flex spots, but I also use the top as much as possible (any day over 60 degrees) in New England. Car is superb on the highway. Cruises at any speed with control. Highly recommended as a used car (providing no accidents, etc). You get a huge discount off of new, yet car is 90% the same if well taken care of. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

Styling. Still totally unique, even after they have sold thousands for several more years. I actually wish I could drive more, so I could use it more - especially on the highway. Would be a great outside the city commuter car. Excellent paint job and sheet metal. No scratches and dings, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Just lose the low profile rims. Any time you even get close to a curb, there is no room for error. The original rims have basically just been sacrificed. The tires lasted through the winter without a blowout, highly recommended. Rain is tough, as indicated. Top could have been designed better.

Update on my Moondust C70
By 1972ChevelleMalibu

2003 Volvo C70 Convertible HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

15,500 miles and can't wait for this summer. Only word of caution, get rid of the stock Pirelli tires ASAP. First off, they are only summer and second, the sidewalls are way too weak. You hit a pothole or bump and they are ruined. I switch over to Dunlop Wintersport M3. They also come run- flat. Take much more abuse (regulars), but low - profile in general is a bad idea. Car was totally fine in snow with the Dunlops (they are winter tires). Moondust color is perfect for hiding dirt, finish is fine, interior is perfect. No problems with anything, just get in and turn the key. Very unique. Drive all day and maybe see one other on the road. Can't think of anything else I would rather have.

Favorite Features

Power. If you don't mind a little turbo lag (my other car was a turbo, too doesn't bother me at all), you can't beat it. I haven't even ever come close to flooring it the entire 18 mos. By the way, I liked it so much that I leased an XC90 for my wife to drive. That is quite the vehicle, too.

Suggested Improvements

I can really only think of two: I like the radio to get really REALLY loud. On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 - loudest, the best this radio can do is about an 8 (or I am going deaf, which is entirely possible). The other is the top is so NOT designed for the rain. When doors are open, water just streams in.

Can't wait for next season
By 1972ChevelleMalibu

2003 Volvo C70 Convertible HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have to put in my opinion on this car because they are so hard to find, etc. I have had my Moondust C70 with the high powered turbo for 6 months and 6,000 miles. So far, it has been a fantastic car. It is powerful (252 HP), smooth riding and the seats are extremely comfortable. I originally struck out to find a used one, but it was so difficult, I bought a leftover 2003 new. People come up to me at stoplights to ask what it is and say how much they like it (sometimes one person a day) when the top is down! If you have the $, it is either this, or I would check out the new Saab (was not out when I got mine).

Favorite Features

Top auto/stores neatly. You can fit 2 sm. golf bgs in the trunk. The 2 back seats are real. Wife can stand up inside the car (bent)with the top up to put baby in. Rollover

Suggested Improvements

Rain will pour into car when doors are opened.Low profile tires rims will smash up on curbs in no time at all. Everyone complains about turning radius. The car is about two inches too low.

A great car that is fun to drive!
By xyzzyx

2003 Volvo C70 Convertible HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have always owned mid priced - full sized convertibles (Cutlass / Toyota Solara / etc) and this has been the nicest, fun to drive, stylish car I driven. Good power (with the HT version) and comfortable. The power top and automatic boot is wonderful (ever been caught right before a downpour ?) One touch and your back on the road. Add the six disc CD player and power antenna switch (both simple to install by yourself) and this car is ready to have fun.

Favorite Features

Style - lots of compliments on the new dark grey with silver interior. People don't believe it's a Volvo!

Suggested Improvements

Add the power antenna switch as a standard item. Unless you know it's available - your antenna is up even if listening to the CD player. It takes five minutes to install with only one screw to remove. Poor decision not to install at factory. Otherwise - this car is great!!