2001 Volvo C70 2.3L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Beautiful but shaky car

2001 Volvo C70 - Consumer Review

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

HT Convertible (2.3L 5-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Beautiful but shaky car
By Todd on

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The C70 is a classically beautiful long hood/short deck design that looks great top up or down. The back seat room and rear visibility is very good for a convertible. This is my 3rd different 4-seat convertible, and the Volvo easily tops the others in that area. On the down side, repairs have been more frequent than I had expected given Volvo's reputation, and much more expensive than I'd like. The cowl shake and suspension crashing over railroads and potholes is frighteningly bad. But when the sun is out, the top is down, and the road is smooth, the C70 is a great joy to drive. It's no sports car, but a grand touring vehicle of the first rank.

Favorite Features

Highway driving, comfortable seats front and back, great stereo, good gas mileage, good power for cruising and passing.

Suggested Improvements

Cowl shake, build quality. Would I buy it again? Yes, but for my next convertible (considering new model C70, BMW 3 series, VW Eos, Audi TT or A4) I'll be looking for improvements in these areas.