Used 2001 Volvo C70 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C70 model:

Unreliable - Never again
By Va

2001 Volvo C70 Coupe HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most unreliable auto I have ever owned in over 30 years. Interior switches and plastic parts fail or fall apart, electronics fail, wind noise is pronounced, the power steering has leaked, the electreonic key will not hold a code - countless trips to the dealer, bulbs constantly burn out, the upholstery peels. Nice looking but pure, unmitigated junk.

Comfortable seats

Complete redesign of the electroncs system

The Man & His Machine (update)
By jmybowen

2001 Volvo C70 Coupe HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm the guy who reviewed his "Red HP-turbo coupe" almost four years ago; this is an update. I hit a deer with it three years ago and it's a tank! Very safe! Now the cost of ownership: Well, I now have 160k+. I think the transmission is starting to slip. I drive 20k per year; that's about 1k every three months for service,the 17in Mich. A/S tires run about $1,300 every 60K, premium fuel is a must! Don't let anyone else convince you otherwise [160k-remember?]. If you're planning to buy one of these used-& No you can"t have mine!-keep in mind that these things cost you. It's been eight years now. I love it! But my next primary car will be something less expensive & more practical.

Heated seats/mirrors, HP turbo engine, still the "Passion Red" exterior w/ beige leather interior, pwr: seats, sunroof, and windows, the "BBS" factory "Honeycomb" rims, & the interior controls

Bring back this C70 hardtop body-style, Run-flat A/S tires, an after-market/ factory 300 horse-power "R" upgrade engine option, a rubber cargo mat for the trunk.

C70
By 2001-C70

2001 Volvo C70 Coupe HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my C70 used with about 50K miles on it about 5 years ago. I love the way it looks, and love the way it drives even better. It is surprisingly quick for a Volvo. I had to replace the throttle body twice, but Volvo has covered it as a recall item, so it was on their nickel. I have had it in the shop for only one other significant issue. The mass airflow sensor went out while I was on a road trip and rendered the car not driveable, which was not at all convenient, but at least an easy fix. Overall, the reilability has been great. It definitely has been a great car for me.

Fun to drive. Great looks. ProLogic sound system. Reliability. Big trunk.

The back seats are actually pretty roomy for an adult, considering it is a coupe, but the electric seat motors for the front seats are painfully slow.

For the Price
By Volvo for Life

2001 Volvo C70 Coupe HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car looks like a Mercedes and gets mistaken for a BMW all for a fraction of the price. I think this is one of those cars that was overlooks by the American public. It has the sporty look of a european exotic and the safety of a Volvo. Great for a young single guy.

The premium sound package is mind blowing.

The electric seat would be better suited manual when it comes to getting in and out of the back seat. The car has a serious decrease in pep of the line when the engine is cold.

The Man & His Machine
By Jimmy Bowen

2001 Volvo C70 Coupe HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my "RED" C70 HPT COUPE almost three years ago. It is my second Volvo. I have just over 70,000 miles on the odometer. All I can say is "WOW"! This car is a future classic. The shape, the color, the way the turbo kicks in. It really turns heads.

I love the turbo, the five-speed automatic, the heated power seats(even though they move like snails),the shape of the hard-top coupe and that fiery, passionate red color!

A rubber trunk liner,or perhaps in a perfect world where they still made the C70 coupe an "R" verion coupe with the 300hp turbo and AWD would've been nice, otherwise it's fine as is.