Used 2001 Volvo C70 Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo C70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C70 model:

Sexy just like me!
By Sweet Sexy Ride

2001 Volvo C70 LT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I Absolutely love this car! My honey purchased for me. He loves me! I always loved Volvo for safety but when I saw her I fell in love. This car has saved my life and is so dependable! It has the best "get out of the way" I have ever seen! Tractor coming down the road something extended on my side of the road, I couldn't see it until the last second. Cut the wheel at 70 and back. Never Lost Control! I'm still here kids too! Yes a bit rough at times. So what! This is the Only issue I will gladly live with! The top is almost always down. And I can park without worrying about theft. Misplaced the keys once. Could not open the car even by reaching in and hitting the locks. It totally shut down. WOW!

Super safe. Handles well in crisis situations. Of course the convertible top. And the sound system is super. Played Freebird and felt the vibes on my seat! Ooh Aah! And what a pretty car she is! Red with tan top/tan leather interior. Yup, my hunny luvs me! The back seats are great for my boys!

Like the other reviews. The cup holder really should be in the dash. Not the console. It is a bit flimsy but I never saw one that isn't. Rides rough sometimes, even on the smooth roads. Gas mileage so-so. But it is a heavy car. I think I am biased. :) I drive it a lot!

Unreliable - Never again
By Va

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most unreliable auto I have ever owned in over 30 years. Interior switches and plastic parts fail or fall apart, electronics fail, wind noise is pronounced, the power steering has leaked, the electreonic key will not hold a code - countless trips to the dealer, bulbs constantly burn out, the upholstery peels. Nice looking but pure, unmitigated junk.

Comfortable seats

Complete redesign of the electroncs system

The Man & His Machine (update)
By jmybowen

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm the guy who reviewed his "Red HP-turbo coupe" almost four years ago; this is an update. I hit a deer with it three years ago and it's a tank! Very safe! Now the cost of ownership: Well, I now have 160k+. I think the transmission is starting to slip. I drive 20k per year; that's about 1k every three months for service,the 17in Mich. A/S tires run about $1,300 every 60K, premium fuel is a must! Don't let anyone else convince you otherwise [160k-remember?]. If you're planning to buy one of these used-& No you can"t have mine!-keep in mind that these things cost you. It's been eight years now. I love it! But my next primary car will be something less expensive & more practical.

Heated seats/mirrors, HP turbo engine, still the "Passion Red" exterior w/ beige leather interior, pwr: seats, sunroof, and windows, the "BBS" factory "Honeycomb" rims, & the interior controls

Bring back this C70 hardtop body-style, Run-flat A/S tires, an after-market/ factory 300 horse-power "R" upgrade engine option, a rubber cargo mat for the trunk.

Beautiful but shaky car
By Todd

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Convertible (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The C70 is a classically beautiful long hood/short deck design that looks great top up or down. The back seat room and rear visibility is very good for a convertible. This is my 3rd different 4-seat convertible, and the Volvo easily tops the others in that area. On the down side, repairs have been more frequent than I had expected given Volvo's reputation, and much more expensive than I'd like. The cowl shake and suspension crashing over railroads and potholes is frighteningly bad. But when the sun is out, the top is down, and the road is smooth, the C70 is a great joy to drive. It's no sports car, but a grand touring vehicle of the first rank.

Highway driving, comfortable seats front and back, great stereo, good gas mileage, good power for cruising and passing.

Cowl shake, build quality. Would I buy it again? Yes, but for my next convertible (considering new model C70, BMW 3 series, VW Eos, Audi TT or A4) I'll be looking for improvements in these areas.

C70
By 2001-C70

2001 Volvo C70 HT 2dr Coupe (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my C70 used with about 50K miles on it about 5 years ago. I love the way it looks, and love the way it drives even better. It is surprisingly quick for a Volvo. I had to replace the throttle body twice, but Volvo has covered it as a recall item, so it was on their nickel. I have had it in the shop for only one other significant issue. The mass airflow sensor went out while I was on a road trip and rendered the car not driveable, which was not at all convenient, but at least an easy fix. Overall, the reilability has been great. It definitely has been a great car for me.

Fun to drive. Great looks. ProLogic sound system. Reliability. Big trunk.

The back seats are actually pretty roomy for an adult, considering it is a coupe, but the electric seat motors for the front seats are painfully slow.