1999 Volvo C70 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

LT 2.4L 5-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
Won't do it again
By bizemoma on 07/06/12 13:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

We bought this Volvo C70 Convertible with 74K on it. With in the first two weeks of owning it we had to have front end work done on it. Then the motor in the driver seat died while it was in the lean forward position. That was 1K to fix. After that the top got stuck half way up. Finally, when it rained we got an inch of water in the passinger side floor. I loved this car but did not want to put another dime in it. We got rid of it 6 months after buying it. I'm still attracted to Volvo's though. Only if I had a bigger wallet.

Not as good as they use to be.
By EJ on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

Overall this car hasn't great, the recall for the ECM/Throttle body is the biggest fault. Volvo basically just patched it, the throttle body WILL fail and has to be replaced. Not a cheap repair at the dealer, 1k just for the part, I ordered a new one from another company and replaced mine myself. The ABS control module failed, replaced it myself, the cooling fan went out, the heater/AC blower went out, heater core had to be replaced also. I bought this car when it had 20k on it and I drive almost entirely on the Interstate. The turning radius is awful, a friend has a V70 and it is also. Oh, and how could I forget, the convertible top, doesn't work anymore.

Amazing Car
By volvoman on 08/25/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is the best car that I've ever owned I have never had any problems and it is so much fun I drive it everywhere even to the beach

Great fun ride!
By best-Used-car on 02/16/09 15:22 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this Car almost 5 years back. This car had about 80K miles, but I loved the condition and mechanic report. So far, people think that its a relatively new/less-used car as the metallic color on this car is of very superior quality and still shines. Anyway, I have spent almost $2k so far on this car including new sports tire and minor maintenance issues and oil changes. I enjoy it riding every day to work and occasionally to the beach. Best used car in the market, no doubt.

Just another Ford
By jaded on 06/10/06 09:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

For four years, this was the car I sought; it was my dream car. Owning it can only be summed up in one word: FORD..Fix Or Repair Daily. And of course, every repair, no matter how small was excessively expensive; example, the cost to replace the light bulb which illuminates the automatic transmission selector panel is $85. In addition to having never needed this done in even an Americam car, to replace this bulb required that the back seat, console, and gear selector be removed to access the bulb.

it was love at first sight, but...
By broken hearted on 03/12/05 12:54 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

It was love at first sight, but I had to wait until I could afford this car by buying a used one. I thought I had done a good job of checking out the condition before buying, but every time I turn around I encounter some major repair expense and I feel that the car is not reliable enough to take on any trip outside a reasonable towing distance from home. I take very good care of my cars and I don't consider tires, brakes, usual or recommended service requirements to be something that I would complain about. Within a month of owning the car, the problems began. Expensive problems due to poor quality parts, a schizophrenic electronic throttle system, and now a cannibalistic canvas top system

Love This Car
By Martha on 02/13/05 13:22 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

I love my Volvo C70 Convertible but does anyone else have a problem with blind spots and not being able to see out the back window? This doesn't have anything to do with height either.I'm 5'2",my husband is 6'2" and has the same problem. I depend entirely on my side mirrors, which is difficult. Otherwise, it's a wonderful car. Very comfortable and great to look at.Minor problem with getting in and out of the back seat if your a big guy. One other problem, if your uncomfortable with people staring at you, don't buy this car, because you will get stares! Took a long road trip this summer and couldn't have asked for better mileage and comfort. Wonderful to have a convertible that so easy to use!

Volvo Convertable C70
By Theater Guy on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

This car is surprisingly nimble for a convertable, but the cowl has a noticable shimmy when going over uneven surfaces. Had to replace the upper engine mount (some $60 in parts and my own labor) which really helped isloate the engine noise. The 60k service was a real killer (love those Volvo parts prices), but the biggest expense I had while owning this car was the electronic throttle body. It developed a dead spot right in the cruise position and would cause the computer to make the car surge ahead or slow down - as though it can't see the throttle and moves it wide open then completly closed. That cost me a cool 1k but the car drives much better now.

Volvo C70 convertible
By spackle on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

What a fun car to drive! Only problems are minor, and peculiar to convertibles (this is my first). For instance, the shoulder belt is hard to get to when the door is closed, and the inside rearview mirror view out of the tiny rear window is ... well, tiny. Also, there's a huge blind spot for the driver off the right and left rear sides in the back seat, where the convertible top blocks a lot of the view. It's hard to change lanes, sometimes, or to pull out into traffic and be confident you can see oncoming traffic. Other than this, it's a great car. We bought it used, a year ago, and have gone through one Pennsylvania winter so far, no problems.

Funny quirks....
By venicevolvo on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 Convertible LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is a great car but clearly Volvo missed a few minor beats. 1) I'm not big on cupholders, but Europeans need to get over themselves and install ones that work. 2) Why is the steering wheel a dirt magnet? 3) Did they not realize the seat belt would rub the seats and make the upholstery look like old shoes? 4) What is with that check engine light?