1999 Volvo C70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C70 model:
Won't do it again
By bizemoma on 07/06/12 13:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

We bought this Volvo C70 Convertible with 74K on it. With in the first two weeks of owning it we had to have front end work done on it. Then the motor in the driver seat died while it was in the lean forward position. That was 1K to fix. After that the top got stuck half way up. Finally, when it rained we got an inch of water in the passinger side floor. I loved this car but did not want to put another dime in it. We got rid of it 6 months after buying it. I'm still attracted to Volvo's though. Only if I had a bigger wallet.

Not as good as they use to be.
By EJ on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

Overall this car hasn't great, the recall for the ECM/Throttle body is the biggest fault. Volvo basically just patched it, the throttle body WILL fail and has to be replaced. Not a cheap repair at the dealer, 1k just for the part, I ordered a new one from another company and replaced mine myself. The ABS control module failed, replaced it myself, the cooling fan went out, the heater/AC blower went out, heater core had to be replaced also. I bought this car when it had 20k on it and I drive almost entirely on the Interstate. The turning radius is awful, a friend has a V70 and it is also. Oh, and how could I forget, the convertible top, doesn't work anymore.

Amazing Car
By volvoman on 08/25/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is the best car that I've ever owned I have never had any problems and it is so much fun I drive it everywhere even to the beach

Great fun ride!
By best-Used-car on 02/16/09 15:22 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this Car almost 5 years back. This car had about 80K miles, but I loved the condition and mechanic report. So far, people think that its a relatively new/less-used car as the metallic color on this car is of very superior quality and still shines. Anyway, I have spent almost $2k so far on this car including new sports tire and minor maintenance issues and oil changes. I enjoy it riding every day to work and occasionally to the beach. Best used car in the market, no doubt.

1999 C70 LT Coupe, Overall a Good Car
By Tareq Shahwan on 10/08/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with about 30,000 miles. I've owened now for 6+ years, very little problems. I had an issue with the turbo (was leaking and had it repaired for about $150). Other than that, it has been a pretty good car. The only issue with this model (and the dealers I've visited agreed with me on) is the ABD braking system. It is flaky and kicks in during normal braking conditions. One issue I had recently was with the switching panel on the dirver door that controls the windows, the unit blew up while I was driving and I saw smoke come out inside the car. I ordered a brand new unit for about $145 (if I remember correctly) and replaced it myself. Other than that, it's been fun

Drive It Until 300K
By toyesq1971 on 04/29/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT 2dr Coupe

This was our first new car. It's been an every day commuter since we bought it. We had almost zero problems for the first 100K miles. After that, only the seat motors have gone out and a few minor electrical problems. The reliability seriously rivals an Accord. Also, it's surprisingly quick for only 200 HP. Finally, it's built like a tank. Girly men need two tries to swing the doors shut. That may sound like a downside, but I hate the tinny feeling of a 3 series BMW. And, for a two-door, the back seat is amazingly roomy. A 5'10" man can sit very comfortably for a long ride.

Don't waste your money!
By bob on 05/07/07 15:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 HT Turbo 2dr Coupe

I married into this car. Wife explained she liked the style, the seats are very comfortable, and she got a good deal on it. I agree with her, however, this car has been to the shop way too much. Things like, light switch, power seats, strut mounts, sunvisors, abs system, oil leak. I can't even list them all. Allow me to sum it up: I think Volvo engineered a good car but assembled it with lousy parts.

Just another Ford
By jaded on 06/10/06 09:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

For four years, this was the car I sought; it was my dream car. Owning it can only be summed up in one word: FORD..Fix Or Repair Daily. And of course, every repair, no matter how small was excessively expensive; example, the cost to replace the light bulb which illuminates the automatic transmission selector panel is $85. In addition to having never needed this done in even an Americam car, to replace this bulb required that the back seat, console, and gear selector be removed to access the bulb.

it was love at first sight, but...
By broken hearted on 03/12/05 12:54 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

It was love at first sight, but I had to wait until I could afford this car by buying a used one. I thought I had done a good job of checking out the condition before buying, but every time I turn around I encounter some major repair expense and I feel that the car is not reliable enough to take on any trip outside a reasonable towing distance from home. I take very good care of my cars and I don't consider tires, brakes, usual or recommended service requirements to be something that I would complain about. Within a month of owning the car, the problems began. Expensive problems due to poor quality parts, a schizophrenic electronic throttle system, and now a cannibalistic canvas top system

Love This Car
By Martha on 02/13/05 13:22 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo C70 LT Turbo 2dr Convertible

I love my Volvo C70 Convertible but does anyone else have a problem with blind spots and not being able to see out the back window? This doesn't have anything to do with height either.I'm 5'2",my husband is 6'2" and has the same problem. I depend entirely on my side mirrors, which is difficult. Otherwise, it's a wonderful car. Very comfortable and great to look at.Minor problem with getting in and out of the back seat if your a big guy. One other problem, if your uncomfortable with people staring at you, don't buy this car, because you will get stares! Took a long road trip this summer and couldn't have asked for better mileage and comfort. Wonderful to have a convertible that so easy to use!