Used 2009 Volvo C30 T5 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Great little car
By D

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a C30 on our return to the US after a few years overseas. Previously we'd owned a 2003 VW GTi and a 2001 Porsche Boxster but now we only need one car. The C30 has everything we require -- more refined than the VW and, okay, not a Porsche but much cheaper to run. Space is fine for the two of us and the performance is more than good enough. When we bought it the trip computer software had not been loaded. The dealership's salespeople said it wasn't available on the manual. This simply was not true and the mechanics at the dealership installed it in a few minutes when we took it for its first service.

Favorite Features

Build quality, looks (especially the 'flower petal' wheels), performance, comfort, moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

None -- it's perfect as is.

Best in Class, Value and Otherwise
By Paul

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Strangely, this exquisite, sophisticated car is being overlooked in rankings because its drive isn't quite as "fun" as other cars. Meanwhile, it has twice the warranty of the far less dependable VW's, and has a solid reputation for reliability and has best in class safety. Being a grown up, I value those two aspects far more than the fun factor, which to me is represented well enough by the zippy engine, which, btw, is the same engine you get on most of the more expensive Volvos, so its a deal at this price. The C30s cost of ownership due is extremely low due to the expanded warranty package that makes it much more like buying a BMW, but for much less money. Best value anywhere.

Favorite Features

The stunning design, inside and out - should appeal to artists of all ages. The amazing stock stereo, 8 well placed speakers that burn in so well you think you're in a much pricier car. The memory foam seats, which are comfortable even after hours of driving. Awesome AC. Solid and sleek.

Suggested Improvements

I really wanted the choice of an environmentally friendlier diesel or hybrid. The terrific performance of the engine in accelerating is too costly in gas mileage for me. According to the auto press, buyers like me (and many of you) for whom engine performance isn't everything, don't exist/matter.

New C30 is having many issues
By davido

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Decided to trade my 2006 S40 for a new C30. Since I've had the car, the passenger airbag light shows that the airbag is not on sometimes when passengers sit there. The first time I was told nothing was wrong with it, but it surfaced again. At the same time I noticed an oil leak in my garage. The car has 500 miles on it, and I wish I had the one with 85,000 that I traded in. This time, they told me that the airbag issue was a software upgrade problem (not sure why they didn't do this before delivering to me or last time it was in). Oil is from the oil cooler.

Favorite Features

Hard to say. Seems like I'll forget what my car looks like before I get it back. It's comfortable and I like the keyless drive, but other than that I haven't been able to drive it much.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure...reliability? I've only had the car in my possession 8 out of 21 days so far, and it's still in the shop. Today they decided it was the turbo drain plug after replacing the oil cooler.

Safety/ Quality issues
By Humble77338

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had a Volvo for 5 yrs so I thought a C30 was the way to go when replacing my other car. Oh was I wrong. In the 1st 200 miles, my passenger air bag was not working (pregnant wife refuses to ride in my new car now). The service depat. told me that they couldn't fit it in on a Saturday...too many more important oil changes I suppose.The dealer kept it for 3 days, and now the problem seems to have resolved itself. This morning (mile 500) I have an oil leak under my car. I'm seeing that quality and safety are no longer top priorities with Volvo. Time to take it back again...more time off from work. Wish they would give me back my working trade-in so I could go elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Keyless drive, (I might have others if I was able to drive it more)

Suggested Improvements

Better focus of quality/safety of deliverable vehicles. Delivered initially with passenger airbag not working.

Just Right
By Terri

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I literally test drove 12 vehicles and kept coming back to the C30. I love the size after driving a station wagon for so many years. It's easy to fit in spaces and maneuver city streets. Can't understand why they aren't more popular because there are so many great features. I was looking for a car with good pick up and boy does this have it. I love my new little car.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. It doesn't hesitate when pulling out in traffic. The interior is plain, yet tasteful. I have leather seats but would have been happy with either option.

Suggested Improvements

More color choices. That car would be gorgeous in light blue with navy trim. More places to store items around the dash would be nice.