Used 2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

A car that makes me smile every time I drive it.
By Mike C

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 C30 used and have now owned it for 3 years. I had test drove a Focus RT and a Veloster Turbo but just fell in love with the C30. I found the build quality and ride to be so much better than the other two cars. Although mine is a barebones Model (does not even have cruise control), the prior owner had had all the work done on the car at the dealership. As such, it was very well taken care of. Interior of the care is simple but effective. I am not a small person but find it very comfortable in the front seat. Although the back seats are supposed to be "roomy", I have long legs so there would be no leg room behind me. Besides, it is always a pain to get in and out of the back seat of a small coupe. As such, no one but my dog rides in the back seat. It did not take me very long to get used to the 'waterfall' control system and now find it very easy to use. Performace, the car is great. Yes, it does not get the best fuel economy but it is a performance car. If I wanted fuel economy I would have bought the Focus or the Veloster. The engine produced plenty of horse-power and I have yet to have an issue merging or passing. But what I really like is that the power and performance are matched to a great ride. I love taking this car to my parents hours (6 hours away). The looks of the car are what really drew me to it. It has a unique look that stands out in the sea of hatchbacks. However, that looks does come at a cost. The hatch itself smaller than the rest of the storage area so it does limit the size of objects you can carry in the back. Since I do not have people ride in the back seat, I can fold them down and have lots of room. Also, the large B-pillars do make it difficult to see, producing some large blind spots. The only issue I have had with this car in three years is a bad PCV. This caused the engine to "whistle" as well as the check engine light to come on. It was not exactly a cheap fix (I had the dealer fix it) but it is all good now. If you have a Volvo with this engine and you hear the engine "whine" or "whistle" then get it to a repair shop quickly as delaying could cause my greater damage. (I was able to avoid that.) But given that this is a 7 year old used car, I guess that is not bad. I would recommend this to anyone wanted a fun hot hatch (either with no kids or small kids).

Great little car
By D

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a C30 on our return to the US after a few years overseas. Previously we'd owned a 2003 VW GTi and a 2001 Porsche Boxster but now we only need one car. The C30 has everything we require -- more refined than the VW and, okay, not a Porsche but much cheaper to run. Space is fine for the two of us and the performance is more than good enough. When we bought it the trip computer software had not been loaded. The dealership's salespeople said it wasn't available on the manual. This simply was not true and the mechanics at the dealership installed it in a few minutes when we took it for its first service.

Build quality, looks (especially the 'flower petal' wheels), performance, comfort, moonroof.

None -- it's perfect as is.

Best in Class, Value and Otherwise
By Paul

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Strangely, this exquisite, sophisticated car is being overlooked in rankings because its drive isn't quite as "fun" as other cars. Meanwhile, it has twice the warranty of the far less dependable VW's, and has a solid reputation for reliability and has best in class safety. Being a grown up, I value those two aspects far more than the fun factor, which to me is represented well enough by the zippy engine, which, btw, is the same engine you get on most of the more expensive Volvos, so its a deal at this price. The C30s cost of ownership due is extremely low due to the expanded warranty package that makes it much more like buying a BMW, but for much less money. Best value anywhere.

The stunning design, inside and out - should appeal to artists of all ages. The amazing stock stereo, 8 well placed speakers that burn in so well you think you're in a much pricier car. The memory foam seats, which are comfortable even after hours of driving. Awesome AC. Solid and sleek.

I really wanted the choice of an environmentally friendlier diesel or hybrid. The terrific performance of the engine in accelerating is too costly in gas mileage for me. According to the auto press, buyers like me (and many of you) for whom engine performance isn't everything, don't exist/matter.

2009 C30 great car
By scott fortune

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2009 c30 is a very cool car and I have had it for almost one year. I get about 23 mph and have taken it from Jacksonville, Florida to ft. Lauderdale 2 times, for fun. The trip goes quickly and is very pleasant. My wife and I also own a 2008 Porsche Cayman s. We both often prefer the c30 because it is so much easier to drive... Easy and fun with room for groceries. I had 2 Volvo xc90's, dating back to 2004 or 2003. The c30 is much cooler and more fun. The dynaudio is an excellent option. I have automatic, leather, sunroof, Cruise, bluetooth, ipod compatible. I recommend it and would buy another one.

exterior styling, seats, headroom, bluetooth, dynaudio, acceleration is awesome. I am 6 feet 2 inches and the car rocks with plenty of room.

more room in rear seats and in cargo area; easier access to rear seats, more room behind the floating center console, more room in door compartments.

New C30 is having many issues
By davido

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Decided to trade my 2006 S40 for a new C30. Since I've had the car, the passenger airbag light shows that the airbag is not on sometimes when passengers sit there. The first time I was told nothing was wrong with it, but it surfaced again. At the same time I noticed an oil leak in my garage. The car has 500 miles on it, and I wish I had the one with 85,000 that I traded in. This time, they told me that the airbag issue was a software upgrade problem (not sure why they didn't do this before delivering to me or last time it was in). Oil is from the oil cooler.

Hard to say. Seems like I'll forget what my car looks like before I get it back. It's comfortable and I like the keyless drive, but other than that I haven't been able to drive it much.

Not sure...reliability? I've only had the car in my possession 8 out of 21 days so far, and it's still in the shop. Today they decided it was the turbo drain plug after replacing the oil cooler.