Used 2008 Volvo C30 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo C30 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Engineering defect
By lucia5

2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving this volvo, I love it more than the GTI I used to own. BUT the severity of the damage done from an engineering defect with the oil separator has me question volvo's reliability. Here's what to do if this happens to you. If you hear a hum that progressively gets louder as the engine warms up, NOT a belt squeal. STOP the car and IMMEDIATELY shut the engine off. Have the car towed to your mechanic or dealership. If you do not stop the car immediately you'll ruin the seals in your engine, the crankshaft, timing belt and possibly other parts.

Favorite Features

I love how this car drives.

Suggested Improvements

Hope they fix the issue with the oil separator.

Fun all around
By bas3

2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased my C30 in 2008 as a Dealer promotional model (traded in a 2004.5 S40). Now has around 70k miles and is holding up well. One issue- HVAC fan was replaced under warrenty before 15k miles. Excellent commuter vehicle with enough zip to manuvre in heavy (Chicago) traffic with confidence. Very comfortable long range cruiser (I take at least eight 8+ hour trips each year) even with three in the car. Plenty of leg room in back for 6 footers even on long trips, though taller passengers might end up feeling cramped after a few hours. Fuel economy is average (I get about 23/ 24 mpg in city and stop and go rush hour traffic, up to about 26/ 27 for long freeway cruising). FYI, auto tran.

Favorite Features

Nothing stands out; everything works logically and controls are where expected. Exterior design is still unique (not many of them around) and hasn't grown old (I still like seeing my bright blue C30 after a good car wash). Easy to find in a parking lot...

Suggested Improvements

Wheels seem delicate (I'm getting a thumping noise due to one rear wheel slightly dented (out of round)- tires are expensive due to required rating, so have to wait for next service appointment to replace both wheel and two tires (for matching). Alignment seems to get loose rather frequently too and some interior trim isn't seated very well- a few large gaps around the instrument cluster and one carpet fastener keeps popping out and has already been replaced twice.

Perfect
By mapin

2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, unique and good looking. Seats are extremely comfortable. Tons of head room. Rear passengers always remark about the roominess and comfort. Rear hatch design is very functional, as is the cargo space. I can fit my road bike with one seat folded down, and room for a rear passenger to sit. No repairs yet, knock on wood as warranty is about to go.

Favorite Features

The exterior is gorgeous. The rear glass hatch is really attractive. Seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I would love an AWD option and 300hp.

3 years and counting!
By Jim in Quebec

2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned (13 over 42 years of driving). Purchased by C30 in May 2007 - still love getting into it every morning to drive to work. Excellent gas mileage on the highway with the T5 and 6-speed manual - less so in the city. Very comfortable for me (5'10") but my wife (5'4") doesn't find it all that comfortable. As she says, Volvo makes their cars for tall Vikings. Handles very well on ice and snow. Many compliments on its design from other drivers.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good visibility. Great handling. My Volvo dealer is superb - had an ice-build-up in a wheel well one time, and dealer not only got the ice out, had the car washed and didn't charge me a dime.

Suggested Improvements

More resistant seat material - marks easily. Back window gets dirty quickly due to air flow.

Exactly what I wanted
By Mr. Morris

2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this after looking for 4 months for cars, using price, options, powertrains, looks and several other things. Minus not being AWD, I was able to get everything I wanted nothing I didn't need. I was able to steal mine for 22k after I put 32.5k in options on it. sometimes I hate the way it looks but its a love hate thing(it's cause it's a hatchback) and I love the drive. no matter how I feel my ride centers me. I have put a lot into since I bought, being 25 I couldn't help but want more power agility and style. Always still even now grabs eyes and the great feeling when someone take a shot of it with their cell phone. find buy love.

Favorite Features

I got exactly all the options I wanted and nothing I didn't want. The quality in and out is very good for the car, no other hatch offers the the same for the price. no one has it.

Suggested Improvements

I think AWD and an R version is all.