Used 2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 2.0 R-Design Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo C30 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Most Helpful|
Very nice and fun ride.
By chudilo

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased this car when it just came out, because I needed a small car, that was well built (or at least felt like it was), that would be fun to drive, with a decent amount of cargo space. I also considered, Audi A3 and the Volkswagen Golf. This car had better feeling materials inside then the VW. It handles very well. Suspension is in my opinion a perfect balance between harshness and handling. It's also pretty quick when you need that extra push and not too bad on gas if you're taking it easy.

Favorite Features

Handling. Steering response. Folding rear seats allowed me to lug a flat packed computer desk. The special fabric on the seats is very versatile. It cleans very easily (think baby food), and does not get very cold/hot. Definitely fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

If this car had 4 doors I would be able to own it longer. I thought Volvo was going to release it, but decided not to.

Great Drive
By sweethome

Terrific car. Went in to replace my 2001 Cross Country with the new model, wasn't crazy about the feel, and ended up testing the C-30. Can't believe I went from all that space to this 2-dr hatchback. What a good decision. With the back seats down, I can put my golf clubs, my wife's golf clubs and all the luggage we would ever need for a long trip. Comfort, ride, sound, all spectacular, and you gotta love the BLIS - no more neck craning to find that truck hidden in my blind spot. In my travels on the east and west coasts and the south, I have yet to see another C-30 on the road, so the uniqueness is a plus as well. People do stare.

Favorite Features

BLIS; keyless entry & ignition; interior design; surprisingly comfortable back seats; suspension on highway driving; upgraded sound system

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth needs to be factory installed. Dealer installation is both unattractive and requires way too much dislocation of panels, seats and other equipment. Dealers may be able to do this comfortably with other models, but not the C-30. High risk of collateral damage.

2008 C30 R-Design
By cadyjw

I traded a Focus and Sky and got the best of both worlds- the functionality of the Focus and nearly the power of the Sky Turbo. I call it my "hybrid". The fit and finish is a real step up. Of all the small luxury vehicles the C30 is the best choice- more stylish and sportier than the A3 and much more roomy than the Mini. As far as the other small vehicles like the Civic, Corrola, etc. they cannot even start to compare.

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual is the way to go for power and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics way too simple- hey its 2008. Bluetooth should be standard with a manual transmission.

A breath of fresh air on the road
By boomerboy12

Picked up my C30 after my 2007 S40 was totaled by a drunk driver (luckily I wasn't). The cars styling is so unique and the T5 engine smooth as can be (much smoother and more responsive than the 2.4i in the S40). It's a shame that the fuel efficiency isn't as good as what one might hope, but it is still acceptable considering the performance and overall package. Another negative for some might be the small and rather high opening of the hatch. The C30 is more of a looker hatch than one you would want to haul stuff around in. Just keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Incredibly supportive seats and powerful, responsive engine. Very precise steering as well. Killer looks that are fresh and unique amidst all of the clones.

Suggested Improvements

There is no excuse for a $30K car not to have a trip computer. The way options must be added is mind numbing with virtually no package options available. Pick up a car off the lot and you are left to compromise with not having all the options you want. Order one and you are left with a wait.

Try the diesel
By Dejuan

You Americans always make me laugh when mumbling and complaining about fuel economy and car prices. I have one of the first C30's diesel available (July 2007) 1.6 summum, 110 Hp, 0-100 (km) 10s, top speed 195km/h List price 30.000,- Euro, is like 45.000 US dollars. Diesel per liter euro 1,50, is like US dollar 2,25 The comfort and handling are great. For the US market I would suggest the 2.0 diesel (136 Hp) or the D5, (165- 180 Hp) Why not try diesel instead of petrol. In Europe a petrol car is almost a sin.