2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:
Engineering defect
By lucia5 on 02/21/12 14:15 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving this volvo, I love it more than the GTI I used to own. BUT the severity of the damage done from an engineering defect with the oil separator has me question volvo's reliability. Here's what to do if this happens to you. If you hear a hum that progressively gets louder as the engine warms up, NOT a belt squeal. STOP the car and IMMEDIATELY shut the engine off. Have the car towed to your mechanic or dealership. If you do not stop the car immediately you'll ruin the seals in your engine, the crankshaft, timing belt and possibly other parts.

Exactly what I wanted
By Mr. Morris on 07/29/10 03:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this after looking for 4 months for cars, using price, options, powertrains, looks and several other things. Minus not being AWD, I was able to get everything I wanted nothing I didn't need. I was able to steal mine for 22k after I put 32.5k in options on it. sometimes I hate the way it looks but its a love hate thing(it's cause it's a hatchback) and I love the drive. no matter how I feel my ride centers me. I have put a lot into since I bought, being 25 I couldn't help but want more power agility and style. Always still even now grabs eyes and the great feeling when someone take a shot of it with their cell phone. find buy love.

Best Car Nobody Ever Heard of
By Jack Rabbit on 03/08/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had mine for 9 months now and I have seen no more than a half a dozen on the road in all that time. I have to ask, why? Is the car-buying public as averse to doing some research as the voting public is? This car replaced my Audi TT ruined in a crash (excuse me while I shed a tear) and it is hard to tell the difference. The turbo and handling are TT class and I know enough now to want all the airbags and doors so solid it takes help to open them. So why aren't they selling? Too much for the money. Economy conscious people seem not to want this much car. Personally, I'm the nut who says, "if it runs on regular it must be crap." This car is fun, fast, and yet practical.

2008 C30 2.0
By JT79 on 03/04/10 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great all-around sporty car. I was particularly impressed by the build quality and ride of the vehicle. From my research I knew that it was a going to be a quick and versatile little car, but I was blown away by just how well it was put together and how well it rode on the highway. The suspension is a perfect blend between performance and luxury. It's not quite as nimble as a Mini Cooper or GTI but it doesn't beat you up nearly as much either and it blows either of those cars away in terms of power and power delivery.

Honda better look out
By Volvo C30PO on 10/02/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Hello, The C30 is a marvelous little car. Those who currently own a Honda Civic and are interested in moving to the Accord would do good to test drive a C30. I have always preferred smaller cars and traded in my 1997 Civic EX Coupe with 197k on the odometer. Unfortunately Honda hasn't made any youth oriented (and purchased by youth) cars in over 10 years. Instead of waiting for the CRZ I purchased C30 instead. The build quality is far superior to the Honda Civic. You feel very safe as soon as you shut the door. The engine has great torque. You can drive around town in 4th gear from 15-50 mph without a problem. If the price is too high buy a used one and you will not regret it!

Great Car
By elm2450 on 08/08/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Built to last. Tight body and reliable. Comfortable, safe, and fun to drive. Got all bells and whistles and do not miss the luxury machines the C30 replaced. Great look with alot eyes taking note.

One Year There (almost)
By ph001c on 07/15/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car in Aug 2008. The 2009s had been released and I got a killer deal. I as replacing an 11yo Honda Civic with suspension upgrades that I *loved*. I did not think I could find a car to replace the Civvie. I really wanted an A4 Avant with manual (good luck finding one) but wound up x-shopping the A3, GTI, Mazda 3, Focus and Impreza. I have drove them all. The C30 was the best package for me. We have a two year old daughter but we also run a Mazda CX9. I only needed marginal utility. The C30 has just enough. (I recently took a road trip to hike the Grand Canyon. Three guys, full packs/gear.) The C30 is a superb touring car.

Well built speed machine!
By Good Job Volvo on 12/04/08 17:03 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this car for 8000 miles now. I wanted to get in some seat time and see how the car would responed to my new born daughter and her car seat before I write a review. Volvo has indeed out done itself. From the ordering process to the driving experience(minus the build time). I was hooked the second I jumped in and cranked the key. My wife and I were worried about our daughters car seat. We have a Graco rear facing seat with the quick release base. I have only two complaints about this. One, is that you have to move the seat forward in order for it to fit. Luckily for my wife she is small. The second is locking of the seat after I put the car seat in or out of the car

Most excellent
By ted on 06/27/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Excellent car, handles like a dream, gets off the line fairly quickly. It could use some extra torque though, and you should do everything in your power to stay away from potholes (I cringe at the slam of my 18 inch wheels over concrete expansion joints), but luckily with its superb handling, you can avoid them without difficulty. The sound system is unreal, the car is just one huge menu system. Everything can be changed, adjusted, and tweaked to your exact specifications. I wish the front didn't look exactly the same as the S40 and V50, but it's a small price to pay for having the coolest car around.

Wow, definitely worh every penny!
By efrazier on 06/14/08 10:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car after looking at a SRT4 Caliber and a Mazda Speed 3. I was just about set on the Mazda when I found this car by accident, as soon as I saw it and started researching it was a done deal without the test drive. Then I drove it...wow! This car is probably one of the most well balanced cars I have ever owned..even better than a BMW! I have no faults with this car whatsoever from an engineering perspective. The power, handling, comfort and design of the car are all superb! Once I drove it I was done..no need to drive anything else because nothing else compares. I actually can't wait to take it on a long trip.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.