Used 2008 Volvo C30 T5 Version 2.0 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Fun to drive but below average reliability
By volvo_c30

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I had this car for 6-7 years now and had about 74K miles. My previous car are all Japanese and I consider myself a conservative driver. Never had an accident with this car yet. I like this car as it is fun to drive, great handling, solid on the turns. The down side is reliability. Up to now I had temperature sensor replaced, 12V plug replaced, front passenger seat unable to re track properly and the front left axle/hub seems to be clicking on certain right turns. Just like a problematic cv joint problem. brought to the mechanic and he has no clue even the issue is duplicated. So bottom line is be ready to shell out some money for routine repair and they are not cheap sine it's European.

Handling, fun to drive, power.

More reliable.

Roadster with practical side
By wadlust

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought C30 four and half years ago used with 20K. The handsome external design expresses my style well. It is practical (overall small size, with easy back seat conversion to increased cargo volume), well balance (power and mileage), and simple inside. I used it to transport tools and materials for home improvement, to take my dog to the park, to go skiing (roof ski rack), and to go on hikes from trail heads far into the Washington state Cascade mountain roads. This car does all of this at good mileage, reliable services, and sporty feel. At 85K, so far I have had door auto lock relays replaced on warranty (it was locking door without command to do so). Windshield was replaced at 60K.

Front brakes were replaced at 35K. I have to remove and reinsert key for car to start (getting key error). Otherwise, no other issues that would make me even come close to regret I bought this wonderful speedster. If you want luxury handling and interior noise level, with plenty of power for passing and roadstering, at small fuel mileage penalty, with sufficient room to carry four or plenty of cargo, and simple Scandinavian interior design this car is definitely for you. Get it!

Engineering defect
By lucia5

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving this volvo, I love it more than the GTI I used to own. BUT the severity of the damage done from an engineering defect with the oil separator has me question volvo's reliability. Here's what to do if this happens to you. If you hear a hum that progressively gets louder as the engine warms up, NOT a belt squeal. STOP the car and IMMEDIATELY shut the engine off. Have the car towed to your mechanic or dealership. If you do not stop the car immediately you'll ruin the seals in your engine, the crankshaft, timing belt and possibly other parts.

I love how this car drives.

Hope they fix the issue with the oil separator.

Exactly what I wanted
By Mr. Morris

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this after looking for 4 months for cars, using price, options, powertrains, looks and several other things. Minus not being AWD, I was able to get everything I wanted nothing I didn't need. I was able to steal mine for 22k after I put 32.5k in options on it. sometimes I hate the way it looks but its a love hate thing(it's cause it's a hatchback) and I love the drive. no matter how I feel my ride centers me. I have put a lot into since I bought, being 25 I couldn't help but want more power agility and style. Always still even now grabs eyes and the great feeling when someone take a shot of it with their cell phone. find buy love.

I got exactly all the options I wanted and nothing I didn't want. The quality in and out is very good for the car, no other hatch offers the the same for the price. no one has it.

I think AWD and an R version is all.

Best Car Nobody Ever Heard of
By Jack Rabbit

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had mine for 9 months now and I have seen no more than a half a dozen on the road in all that time. I have to ask, why? Is the car-buying public as averse to doing some research as the voting public is? This car replaced my Audi TT ruined in a crash (excuse me while I shed a tear) and it is hard to tell the difference. The turbo and handling are TT class and I know enough now to want all the airbags and doors so solid it takes help to open them. So why aren't they selling? Too much for the money. Economy conscious people seem not to want this much car. Personally, I'm the nut who says, "if it runs on regular it must be crap." This car is fun, fast, and yet practical.

Quick and agile.