2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:
Engineering defect
By lucia5 on 02/21/12 14:15 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving this volvo, I love it more than the GTI I used to own. BUT the severity of the damage done from an engineering defect with the oil separator has me question volvo's reliability. Here's what to do if this happens to you. If you hear a hum that progressively gets louder as the engine warms up, NOT a belt squeal. STOP the car and IMMEDIATELY shut the engine off. Have the car towed to your mechanic or dealership. If you do not stop the car immediately you'll ruin the seals in your engine, the crankshaft, timing belt and possibly other parts.

Fun all around
By bas3 on 01/10/11 10:56 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased my C30 in 2008 as a Dealer promotional model (traded in a 2004.5 S40). Now has around 70k miles and is holding up well. One issue- HVAC fan was replaced under warrenty before 15k miles. Excellent commuter vehicle with enough zip to manuvre in heavy (Chicago) traffic with confidence. Very comfortable long range cruiser (I take at least eight 8+ hour trips each year) even with three in the car. Plenty of leg room in back for 6 footers even on long trips, though taller passengers might end up feeling cramped after a few hours. Fuel economy is average (I get about 23/ 24 mpg in city and stop and go rush hour traffic, up to about 26/ 27 for long freeway cruising). FYI, auto tran.

Perfect
By mapin on 09/03/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, unique and good looking. Seats are extremely comfortable. Tons of head room. Rear passengers always remark about the roominess and comfort. Rear hatch design is very functional, as is the cargo space. I can fit my road bike with one seat folded down, and room for a rear passenger to sit. No repairs yet, knock on wood as warranty is about to go.

3 years and counting!
By Jim in Quebec on 08/03/10 18:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned (13 over 42 years of driving). Purchased by C30 in May 2007 - still love getting into it every morning to drive to work. Excellent gas mileage on the highway with the T5 and 6-speed manual - less so in the city. Very comfortable for me (5'10") but my wife (5'4") doesn't find it all that comfortable. As she says, Volvo makes their cars for tall Vikings. Handles very well on ice and snow. Many compliments on its design from other drivers.

Exactly what I wanted
By Mr. Morris on 07/29/10 03:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this after looking for 4 months for cars, using price, options, powertrains, looks and several other things. Minus not being AWD, I was able to get everything I wanted nothing I didn't need. I was able to steal mine for 22k after I put 32.5k in options on it. sometimes I hate the way it looks but its a love hate thing(it's cause it's a hatchback) and I love the drive. no matter how I feel my ride centers me. I have put a lot into since I bought, being 25 I couldn't help but want more power agility and style. Always still even now grabs eyes and the great feeling when someone take a shot of it with their cell phone. find buy love.

2 years later
By lgibsonjr on 04/03/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my C30 new in December 2007. Over two years later I still love this car. If it weren't for routine maintenance I wouldn't know how well the service department at my Volvo dealer operates. My C30 still delivers in the city and on the highway. I'm 49 years old, have had alot of cars, but this has to rate as my best yet.

Best Car Nobody Ever Heard of
By Jack Rabbit on 03/08/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had mine for 9 months now and I have seen no more than a half a dozen on the road in all that time. I have to ask, why? Is the car-buying public as averse to doing some research as the voting public is? This car replaced my Audi TT ruined in a crash (excuse me while I shed a tear) and it is hard to tell the difference. The turbo and handling are TT class and I know enough now to want all the airbags and doors so solid it takes help to open them. So why aren't they selling? Too much for the money. Economy conscious people seem not to want this much car. Personally, I'm the nut who says, "if it runs on regular it must be crap." This car is fun, fast, and yet practical.

2008 C30 2.0
By JT79 on 03/04/10 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great all-around sporty car. I was particularly impressed by the build quality and ride of the vehicle. From my research I knew that it was a going to be a quick and versatile little car, but I was blown away by just how well it was put together and how well it rode on the highway. The suspension is a perfect blend between performance and luxury. It's not quite as nimble as a Mini Cooper or GTI but it doesn't beat you up nearly as much either and it blows either of those cars away in terms of power and power delivery.

Volvo c30
By steven on 12/03/09 19:29 PM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to drive. Incredibly safe. Very good engine in it, it was fast, got good mileage, received many comments about the car. One of the best cars I have ever driven. This car can hold alot of things for a hatchback. The car drove like a sports car. This car is worth every penny. Recently crashed mine into a cement truck going over 40mph, walked out of the crash perfectly unharmed. Car held up in the crash. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Very nice and fun ride.
By chudilo on 11/17/09 11:19 AM (PST)

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased this car when it just came out, because I needed a small car, that was well built (or at least felt like it was), that would be fun to drive, with a decent amount of cargo space. I also considered, Audi A3 and the Volkswagen Golf. This car had better feeling materials inside then the VW. It handles very well. Suspension is in my opinion a perfect balance between harshness and handling. It's also pretty quick when you need that extra push and not too bad on gas if you're taking it easy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.