1997 Volvo 960 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )
Overall Nice
By Nick on 06/02/09 17:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Volvo. The ride quality and engine performance are very good for a family sedan. I have not had many problems with the engine (after 165,000 miles). The sunroof and interior are rather cheap. The sunroof continuously breaks and leaks, and the interior chips. The brakes have to be replaced about as often as Nascar does theirs. Overall a solid vehicle though, just some minor tweaks.

It's the best I have driven so far
By Stuka on 01/27/09 10:18 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I never thought I would have bought a Volvo. But after riding with one of my friends in his S90, I could not keep away from getting one too. I have had it for 8 years and taken it all over the east cost as well as Canada several times. I am ready for a new car and decided to give it to my daughter as her 1st car. My experience with this car made me buy my wife a V70 XC , an awesome car too . Will buy myself a good V70R next

Volvo tried and true
By Eric on 02/08/08 20:14 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am a new Volvo owner as of this year and would buy another one for sure! This car amazes me every day because it is so reliable. Smooth power, nice comfort and awesome lighting! I will say that brakes are an issue but who can complain with the crap out on the market today. Oh, and real crap cupholders!

Sunroof & Brakes
By Larry on 09/27/06 20:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo. I have been VERY disappointed with the poor quality sun roof. After having it repaired five times (three under warranty) I finally gave up. In addition, this car eats brake pads and ended up needing new pads every 9-12 months. Cup holders in interior are a joke.

poor build quality
By herb c on 07/10/05 11:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in late 2003. I had many problems with the car such as sunroof and trunk leaks that my mechanic couldn't locate (and they're volvo mechanics) and numerous other problems such as replacing the evaporator, compressor, power seats, etc... The car's engine and ride are very good but that's it. The car was in the shop probably every 3 weeks. I finally traded it in on a used Acura which is great. I've owned Volvos since 1986 and I'm not impressed with their build quality.

safe
By Cheshiresmile on 11/15/04 13:16 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo. I buy them for safety. It may be my last though. I am tired of mystery bits of plastic falling off constantly. I've replaced the sunroof twice and the roof still leaks. The cup holders are useless. The leather on the doors is pulling off. The brakes need replacing 1-2 times a year. the driver's visor won't stay up and there is no way to repair it without replacement. It is a comfortable ride and I love the look of the interior. The turning radius is impressive for a car this big and heavy.

1997 Volvo 960
By dbange on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

A very reliable car that exemplifies excellent design and workmanship that provides a true luxury vehicle.

Poor reliability & expensive to maintain
By jll on 06/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I gave up on trying to fix all the problems with this car and finally traded it in. The reliability is horrible, everything and anything broke. Sunroof stopped working, A/C broke on multiple occassions, keyless entry broke multiple times (too expensive to repair, I didn't bother to fix the last time), power steering fluid leaking, had to replace brake pads frequently. Random things would break off as well - cup holders, the door hinge for the gas cap, random pieces of plastic and rubber would fall on my head, the leather on the door panel is bubbling. It only had 62k miles on it, so I didn't drive it excessively either. I will never buy another Volvo!

I suggest this car to anyone interested.
By JessicaK on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My family is a Volvo family; we currently own 4. I love the Volvo 960 that I have. It is comfortable, sharp looking, and something that you feel safe driving. Unfortunately, I recently ran into some financial difficulty and had to put it on the market. I'm going to cry when it goes. It is an awesome car and I suggest it to anyone who is interested. I was actually put into this car by my mom. She wanted something safe and reliable for me. Volvo is 'safest car in America' and that is the truth!

This car is a nightmare
By fredism on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have repaired this car like I was made out of money. The sunroof repaired 4 times. Brakes every 20000 miles, This car cost me 2500 a year to repair. The engine and tranny worked fine. It was millions of little things like oil leaks. air conditioner. I would never buy another Volvo in my life.