Used 1997 Volvo 960 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )

Not bad
By Ian

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was my first car I recieved for a graduation present in 2008. it had over 100,00 miles on in then. It lasted about 5 more years. Sunroof leaked when it rained. it would all pool up and then you when you made a turn all of it would drip on you at once. Inside parts did start falling off, all the cloth on the roof finally came off. I used the cheapest gas on it and didn't take the greatest care of it. Seat controls stopped working so I was stuck at one position forever My alternator broke near the ned and I had to replace that. Then at about 180,000 miles the engine and battery started having issues. It couldnt keep charged. It would drive sometimes but would randomly turn off. The radio wasn't the greatest. The sunroof was nice. I would say it's a slightly above average car.

Overall Nice
By Nick

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Volvo. The ride quality and engine performance are very good for a family sedan. I have not had many problems with the engine (after 165,000 miles). The sunroof and interior are rather cheap. The sunroof continuously breaks and leaks, and the interior chips. The brakes have to be replaced about as often as Nascar does theirs. Overall a solid vehicle though, just some minor tweaks.

Power, Handling, Comfort

Sunroof, Interior, Brakes

It's the best I have driven so far
By Stuka

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I never thought I would have bought a Volvo. But after riding with one of my friends in his S90, I could not keep away from getting one too. I have had it for 8 years and taken it all over the east cost as well as Canada several times. I am ready for a new car and decided to give it to my daughter as her 1st car. My experience with this car made me buy my wife a V70 XC , an awesome car too . Will buy myself a good V70R next

The solid ride

Cup holders

Volvo tried and true
By Eric

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am a new Volvo owner as of this year and would buy another one for sure! This car amazes me every day because it is so reliable. Smooth power, nice comfort and awesome lighting! I will say that brakes are an issue but who can complain with the crap out on the market today. Oh, and real crap cupholders!

Lighting, turning radius, room, stereo, smooth power.

Door leather, cup holders, brakes, ash tray, exhaust hangers.

Sunroof & Brakes
By Larry

1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo. I have been VERY disappointed with the poor quality sun roof. After having it repaired five times (three under warranty) I finally gave up. In addition, this car eats brake pads and ended up needing new pads every 9-12 months. Cup holders in interior are a joke.

Overall, solid car, including Volvo safety!

Improve sunroof quality. Add some reasonable cup holders.