1997 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
A great and comfortable family hauler
By ivorytickler on 03/04/11 06:28 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We've owned Volvo for years, and traded a 1988 740 Turbo for our current 1997 960 in September 2001. Our current mileage is 169,000, and other than routine maintenance, our car has been reliable, comfortable and trouble-free. Yes, the plastic interior bits do tend to fall off and the sunroof leaks, but the car's long-distance comfort, safety, and high spec make it an ideal purchase for those on a budget who desire a safe, solid and agile vehicle. The key is to find a good mechanic who specializes and let him look after the maintenance. Running costs are much less than a Mercedes or BMW. We average 20mpg city/26 hwy. The '98 V70 is the same car, and the last year for this body style.

Solid vehicle, Volvo service has slipped
By 960 fan on 03/12/10 19:04 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

have all praise for this car. last of the roomy comfy wagons. Only buyer beware is poor Volvo service nowadays. cannot invest today's Volvo prices, and risk big service $$$$ with poor service quality, numerous, repeated trips over same problems. more than one dealership. Sad for what was once a great company. we're now looking at VW, Subaru, after years with Volvo.

A great Car!
By mlmain on 08/13/09 13:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I agree with the others: an all-around great car. The only glaring piece of poor workmanship is the cup holder--- surely Volvo could have done better than this. Very smooth engine, largely due to its being an inline six. And rear drive contributes to better weight distribution. Rear drive also makes possible the short turning radius-no problems with tight u-turns. I have mixed premium gas with intermediate without a problem. Agreed, radio reception isn't the best, as others have observed.After several years, my air conditioning output is getting weak, but that may only require a recharge of refrigerant- --I hope! Front window sill coverings are pulling away. Am very pleased overall.

Love My 960 Wagon
By Jenna on 02/04/09 21:40 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

This is the most favorite car that I've owned (Nissan Maxima - 2 of them and an Acura Legend). January 2009 turned over 200K miles. Smooth ride and super dependable. Power is there when needed, so don't underestimate this car where performance is concerned. Premium fuel must be used, always. I average in-town 20.4 miles per gallon. Regular maintenance by Volvo specialized mechanic is paramount. I wish they still made these cars.

Great car
By Aimee on 09/03/08 05:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for three years now and the car is 11 years old. Great performance, very reliable for it's age. I have only replaced the brakes and rotors once. That's not bad in three years. My only complaint is the cup holders. They are cheap and don't hold a cup. This is the last year that Volvo made there cars. Ford now builds them and I would never buy from Ford. All in all this is a great car.

Safe Luxo wagon
By David B on 09/01/08 05:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 960 wagon because my uncle got 375k miles out of his 93 960 wagon, so I figured there must be something to be said about the build quality and the reputation of Volvo. This car is a comfort on long drives and handles surprisingly well for a wagon. The big soft leather heated seats are wonderful and welcoming on cold days. This car is very classy and understated. We have not had any serious repairs other than routine service. Remember as with any European luxury car, you have to pay to play. If you want a car that you can feel really good about driving your family around in and not worry about who will steal or scratch it this is the car.

Nice Upgrade From 740 Wagon
By vlvwgn on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I have had a 740 Wagon for over eight years and put 110,000 miles on it after buying it with 50,000 miles. When I needed to look for another wagon in early 2004, the 960 wagon I found was the perfect car. Although the 1997 960 has 125,000 miles, its engine is very smooth and powerful and the luxury ammenities are a big step up from the 740. This car still has another 75,000 - 100,000 miles left on it. I think the late 90's Volvo's get a bad rap for quality, but in the end, they just keep working. Great family car at a great price!

Va-va voom Volvo
By Beauregard on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The lines are sleek, yet classic Volvo, and the cargo space is incredibly long and wide. The seats are so comfortable -- the lumbar support is great. And the "winged" sides envelope you. Our wagon is red with tan seats and it is bright ride; easy to see in parking lots and on the road, and the inside is sunny and warm. The turning radius is super useful and the power is great. At 197 horses, it's pretty average, but when you punch it, it responds really well. The AC/Heater responds quickly too. The sound system is OK, but the integrated antennae in the back window just isn't up to snuff. Overall, this car is wonderful and I'd buy it again.

Swedish Delight
By FnotY on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I think that the 700/900 series Volvos were by far the best. The rear wheel drive design (which is well balanced front to rear) gives the best of both worlds regarding ride & traction. With the styling update that occured in 1995, the 960 became, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful cars on the road.