1997 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
A great and comfortable family hauler
By ivorytickler on 03/04/11 06:28 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We've owned Volvo for years, and traded a 1988 740 Turbo for our current 1997 960 in September 2001. Our current mileage is 169,000, and other than routine maintenance, our car has been reliable, comfortable and trouble-free. Yes, the plastic interior bits do tend to fall off and the sunroof leaks, but the car's long-distance comfort, safety, and high spec make it an ideal purchase for those on a budget who desire a safe, solid and agile vehicle. The key is to find a good mechanic who specializes and let him look after the maintenance. Running costs are much less than a Mercedes or BMW. We average 20mpg city/26 hwy. The '98 V70 is the same car, and the last year for this body style.

Solid vehicle, Volvo service has slipped
By 960 fan on 03/12/10 19:04 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

have all praise for this car. last of the roomy comfy wagons. Only buyer beware is poor Volvo service nowadays. cannot invest today's Volvo prices, and risk big service $$$$ with poor service quality, numerous, repeated trips over same problems. more than one dealership. Sad for what was once a great company. we're now looking at VW, Subaru, after years with Volvo.

A great Car!
By mlmain on 08/13/09 13:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I agree with the others: an all-around great car. The only glaring piece of poor workmanship is the cup holder--- surely Volvo could have done better than this. Very smooth engine, largely due to its being an inline six. And rear drive contributes to better weight distribution. Rear drive also makes possible the short turning radius-no problems with tight u-turns. I have mixed premium gas with intermediate without a problem. Agreed, radio reception isn't the best, as others have observed.After several years, my air conditioning output is getting weak, but that may only require a recharge of refrigerant- --I hope! Front window sill coverings are pulling away. Am very pleased overall.

Overall Nice
By Nick on 06/02/09 17:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is my first Volvo. The ride quality and engine performance are very good for a family sedan. I have not had many problems with the engine (after 165,000 miles). The sunroof and interior are rather cheap. The sunroof continuously breaks and leaks, and the interior chips. The brakes have to be replaced about as often as Nascar does theirs. Overall a solid vehicle though, just some minor tweaks.

Love My 960 Wagon
By Jenna on 02/04/09 21:40 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

This is the most favorite car that I've owned (Nissan Maxima - 2 of them and an Acura Legend). January 2009 turned over 200K miles. Smooth ride and super dependable. Power is there when needed, so don't underestimate this car where performance is concerned. Premium fuel must be used, always. I average in-town 20.4 miles per gallon. Regular maintenance by Volvo specialized mechanic is paramount. I wish they still made these cars.

It's the best I have driven so far
By Stuka on 01/27/09 10:18 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I never thought I would have bought a Volvo. But after riding with one of my friends in his S90, I could not keep away from getting one too. I have had it for 8 years and taken it all over the east cost as well as Canada several times. I am ready for a new car and decided to give it to my daughter as her 1st car. My experience with this car made me buy my wife a V70 XC , an awesome car too . Will buy myself a good V70R next

Great car
By Aimee on 09/03/08 05:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for three years now and the car is 11 years old. Great performance, very reliable for it's age. I have only replaced the brakes and rotors once. That's not bad in three years. My only complaint is the cup holders. They are cheap and don't hold a cup. This is the last year that Volvo made there cars. Ford now builds them and I would never buy from Ford. All in all this is a great car.

Safe Luxo wagon
By David B on 09/01/08 05:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 960 wagon because my uncle got 375k miles out of his 93 960 wagon, so I figured there must be something to be said about the build quality and the reputation of Volvo. This car is a comfort on long drives and handles surprisingly well for a wagon. The big soft leather heated seats are wonderful and welcoming on cold days. This car is very classy and understated. We have not had any serious repairs other than routine service. Remember as with any European luxury car, you have to pay to play. If you want a car that you can feel really good about driving your family around in and not worry about who will steal or scratch it this is the car.

Volvo tried and true
By Eric on 02/08/08 20:14 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I am a new Volvo owner as of this year and would buy another one for sure! This car amazes me every day because it is so reliable. Smooth power, nice comfort and awesome lighting! I will say that brakes are an issue but who can complain with the crap out on the market today. Oh, and real crap cupholders!

Sunroof & Brakes
By Larry on 09/27/06 20:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo. I have been VERY disappointed with the poor quality sun roof. After having it repaired five times (three under warranty) I finally gave up. In addition, this car eats brake pads and ended up needing new pads every 9-12 months. Cup holders in interior are a joke.