1996 Volvo 960 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Surprising car

1996 Volvo 960 - Consumer Review

Surprising car
By whiterabbit on

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing car for me. I got it with a bit over 100,000 miles on it, and have not had to bring it to the shop for anything besides normal maintenance in the three years and additional 60,000 miles I've put on it, even after sitting twice for periods of four months when I went to school. Seats are very comfortable. Coming to this car from an old very luxurious Cadillac was an easy transition; the Volvo is about as comfortable but handles like a sports car. Very grippy, poised, and well balanced. 200 hp isn't a ton, but the large amount of torque hits hard at any rev. It has little cool features too like the door handles and a drip edge so so don't get wet when you pay a toll.

Favorite Features

This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but this car has the most amazing turning radius. It is shocking how I can pull a u-turn anywhere anytime without having to back up on a normal city road. This is so useful when parking. I find "winter mode useless but "sport" is quite fun :)

Suggested Improvements

Three complaints 1-cupholders are useless 2-only 20 mpg highway and 17 city on a v6? 3-wipers only have four settings, one of which is off. I find it is commonly raining little enough for the wipers to squeak on one setting and enough that you can't see anything on the other setting.