Used 1996 Volvo 960 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

Amazing car
By namornik

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I just came through Southern Texas thunderstorm where it was raining so hard visibility was reduced to a couple of car lengths at times, or worse. I knew the car comes with a brighter taillight for just such circumstances, that's number one safety. I also noted how other smaller but good cars handled and even some of the SUV's. I was immediately aware by this that the Volvo 960 is not only safe but handles very well in difficult weather conditions. The rain was pouring down so the drains could not get it off the road fast enough - no matter which road. I was impressed how the Volvo plowed through the water and maintained complete stability. I bought it at 62500 and it's great!!!!

very reliable even w/ 200+
By richie3102

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I loved this Caesar. Got it will 204000 and took it to 220000 and only fixed a wire with supplies I already had. Never stranded me and even when the wire broke she still got me home. Only sold it because I began commuting and the gas mileage sucked. But that is the only bad thing I have to say about the car. Put all those miles on it and still sold her for a profit. EXCELLENT CAR

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Better cuphlders

Surprising car
By whiterabbit

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing car for me. I got it with a bit over 100,000 miles on it, and have not had to bring it to the shop for anything besides normal maintenance in the three years and additional 60,000 miles I've put on it, even after sitting twice for periods of four months when I went to school. Seats are very comfortable. Coming to this car from an old very luxurious Cadillac was an easy transition; the Volvo is about as comfortable but handles like a sports car. Very grippy, poised, and well balanced. 200 hp isn't a ton, but the large amount of torque hits hard at any rev. It has little cool features too like the door handles and a drip edge so so don't get wet when you pay a toll.

Favorite Features

This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but this car has the most amazing turning radius. It is shocking how I can pull a u-turn anywhere anytime without having to back up on a normal city road. This is so useful when parking. I find "winter mode useless but "sport" is quite fun :)

Suggested Improvements

Three complaints 1-cupholders are useless 2-only 20 mpg highway and 17 city on a v6? 3-wipers only have four settings, one of which is off. I find it is commonly raining little enough for the wipers to squeak on one setting and enough that you can't see anything on the other setting.

Fantastic Car
By Volvo Man

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderful. I felt very safe and comfortable in my volvo. I purchased this car about a year ago. The only problem (purchased with the car) was a rear main seal leak. Car need more power and rear leg room. massive trunk, comfortable ride, maximum visability, ease of drive, turning radius, and fuel economy make this car perfect for travel.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior and exterior design, very safe, turning radius, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder...what cup holder? no "get-up-and-go" power

200K and still going
By Steve

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Volvo 9 months ago with 194,000 miles on it, it has been a fun car to drive and haven't had a stitch of problems. The turning radius is awesome and the ride is like a tight sports ride. The body has no rust, which says alot for a Chicago car. I have now turned 204,000 and still going strong. I do like this style better than the newer ones. The only issue is the front seats won't move forward or back, everything else is great

Favorite Features

Turning radius, and ride