1996 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
Amazing car
By namornik on 09/06/14 15:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I just came through Southern Texas thunderstorm where it was raining so hard visibility was reduced to a couple of car lengths at times, or worse. I knew the car comes with a brighter taillight for just such circumstances, that's number one safety. I also noted how other smaller but good cars handled and even some of the SUV's. I was immediately aware by this that the Volvo 960 is not only safe but handles very well in difficult weather conditions. The rain was pouring down so the drains could not get it off the road fast enough - no matter which road. I was impressed how the Volvo plowed through the water and maintained complete stability. I bought it at 62500 and it's great!!!!

very reliable even w/ 200+
By richie3102 on 04/20/12 09:42 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I loved this Caesar. Got it will 204000 and took it to 220000 and only fixed a wire with supplies I already had. Never stranded me and even when the wire broke she still got me home. Only sold it because I began commuting and the gas mileage sucked. But that is the only bad thing I have to say about the car. Put all those miles on it and still sold her for a profit. EXCELLENT CAR

Surprising car
By whiterabbit on 02/10/10 13:57 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing car for me. I got it with a bit over 100,000 miles on it, and have not had to bring it to the shop for anything besides normal maintenance in the three years and additional 60,000 miles I've put on it, even after sitting twice for periods of four months when I went to school. Seats are very comfortable. Coming to this car from an old very luxurious Cadillac was an easy transition; the Volvo is about as comfortable but handles like a sports car. Very grippy, poised, and well balanced. 200 hp isn't a ton, but the large amount of torque hits hard at any rev. It has little cool features too like the door handles and a drip edge so so don't get wet when you pay a toll.

Fantastic Car
By Volvo Man on 09/29/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderful. I felt very safe and comfortable in my volvo. I purchased this car about a year ago. The only problem (purchased with the car) was a rear main seal leak. Car need more power and rear leg room. massive trunk, comfortable ride, maximum visability, ease of drive, turning radius, and fuel economy make this car perfect for travel.

200K and still going
By Steve on 09/20/09 19:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Volvo 9 months ago with 194,000 miles on it, it has been a fun car to drive and haven't had a stitch of problems. The turning radius is awesome and the ride is like a tight sports ride. The body has no rust, which says alot for a Chicago car. I have now turned 204,000 and still going strong. I do like this style better than the newer ones. The only issue is the front seats won't move forward or back, everything else is great

I love Volvos, except this '96
By N. Vagrant on 03/15/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Had it for three months. Purchased with 96,000 miles. We're at 100,000 now with a new transmission, struts, cup holder, etc. It's fun to drive, but I hope the kinks in the '96 were fixed for the 960's last year. I really only gets 17 to the gallon anyways.

Such a beautiful car, expensive to own
By DH on 08/08/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as inexpensive transportation. It looks great inside and out, and has a ton of great features, especially for an older car. So far everything works great on the inside, I've had problems with the car overheating and a blown headgasket. But, the car has almost 150k, so I guess I should be happy with whatever I get out of it.

It's Marvelous Darling!
By Janice M on 05/10/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

It's amazing! Comfortable, elite, handles like a dream. Sharp in looks, classy to own. This is my work car. We own a new 2007 s80 purchased last summer for our "Sunday driving" car, and love both our old and new models!

My 1996 Volvo 960
By Mike on 08/27/05 14:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is a good car. Body design and put-together is poor. Little things break and fall apart. Drive train is good. very poor mileage for a 6 cyl.

Enjoy this car
By Michaell on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The joint venture with Asia has created a smooth and strong engine which doesn't blink when tested. The sound system, interior, and finishings leave very little to question.