Used 1995 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
volvo 960
By dos broggy

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Solid car, no problems, does not handle well in snow...

Volvo - Never Again
By texas_forrest

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Cannot explain how poor this car has been. 8 years of ownership = $9000+ in repairs (excluding maintenance)=> Power Steering Pump, Tensioner Pulleys, Radiator (twice!), Catalytic Converter, Fuel Rail, Idle Control Valve, Electronic Sensors, Oil Seals, Insulation off of Wiring - things that should not fail!

Favorite Features

The few days that is ran correctly - it was a great car

Suggested Improvements

Volvo built an incredibly bad car in 1995 - my experience is typical

It's a brick
By scubasteve

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car considering what I put it through. It has been stuck in the mud twice! Pulled out washed up good as new. I regularly test the straight six on the highway and it always responds well. Its rpm's rev up and then it goes a lot like a turbo but it's not. I also recently drove my Volvo which has 128,000 miles on it from Micihgan to Panama City, Florida non-stop both ways (almost 24 hrs one way) and it is still running like a champ. It got 26 mpg on the highway but city is much worse the rear wheel drive is awesome but living in Michigan I get stuck in snow and mud all the time. 4 wheel drive would be cool but rear is nice in the summer months

Favorite Features

Straight six, handling, comfy seats, moonroof, looks like a tank, great trunk fits all my hockey stuff, sticks and all.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, better city mpg, larger back seat,

1995 Volvo 960
By ohmyteacher

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I was looking for safety, stability, "not new" (parking at college can ruin a car), and an auto that we could agree on for my college- aged child and I drove the car for six months before I sent it to him. I really enjoyed the way it handled (stable), instrumentation, location of controls, etc. I was also glad to find that the fuel economy was not bad at all (compared to other vehicles we have owned). My general driving to an from work averaged a 24mpg. On longer distance runs I had up to 29mpg. Very impressive for such a heavy car!

Favorite Features

Gearstick---unlock pressed with fingers rather than thumb--more efficient and easier on arthritic hands.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension and brakes--when wet, they make creaking noises that bother me. Electrical management--very complicated system that requires complete reworking when one little thing is out of order.

Hans....
By IguanaWN

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

That's my cars name. I bought him from a neighbor after the car sat for 1.5 years. It had two Major oil leaks and a Major league corroded battery disaster. After spending $600 and sweat, he was serviceable. Not bad. Since then I've replaced the front control arm bushings. Still needs ball- joints on the same arm. Speakers crackle, tensioner pulley. I'm still way ahead. Not a bad idea to know how to work on them if you own one. Solid car. It weighs 5k lbs, its a tank but doesn't feel it. No body rattle, doors and all Windows incl sunroof operate, a/c works. I enjoy Hans.

Favorite Features

surprisingly powerful 6 cyl. amazing turn radius.

Suggested Improvements

cupholders that work in American.