Used 1995 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

It's a brick
By scubasteve

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car considering what I put it through. It has been stuck in the mud twice! Pulled out washed up good as new. I regularly test the straight six on the highway and it always responds well. Its rpm's rev up and then it goes a lot like a turbo but it's not. I also recently drove my Volvo which has 128,000 miles on it from Micihgan to Panama City, Florida non-stop both ways (almost 24 hrs one way) and it is still running like a champ. It got 26 mpg on the highway but city is much worse the rear wheel drive is awesome but living in Michigan I get stuck in snow and mud all the time. 4 wheel drive would be cool but rear is nice in the summer months

Favorite Features

Straight six, handling, comfy seats, moonroof, looks like a tank, great trunk fits all my hockey stuff, sticks and all.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, better city mpg, larger back seat,

Wife's favorite
By ALFONSO

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

We bought this care used, 10 yr old. We never had a problem with it. Even for being 10 yrs old. In the snow we used winter mode on the trans and every other time economy mode. Decent power great turning radius. And great interior with all the extras. Did minor repairs like brakes and sun visor. The air was running on last leg, quoted 2500 to fix. If tranny went out quoted 3500 to fix. Luckily for me I did not have any problems. Highly complex electrical system. My mpg was around 14 for city and highway 21 the most gas used in sports mode.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and wood grain. The sunroof was cool. And the exterior gold trim. Big deep trunk with a little hole in the back to fit some lumber.

Suggested Improvements

More after market parts would have been nice. All improvements were made in later models.

Upscale Wagon
By DIC_CAMARILLO

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 960 Wagon used in early 2003 with only 40K mile. I've owned 5 Volvos prior to this and we've been very pleased with them (with the exception of the 1979 265 Wagon - PRV V-6 engine isn't very good). Our 960 is the most powerful Volvo we've owned and the most luxurious. It still feels utilitarian, but you get lots of nice amenities - Leather, moonroof, 6 disc changer, chrome wheels, power seats, etc. Why do you buy a Volvo? Of course, the safest car on the road and the 960 gives you the feeling of safety. This car feels safer than the 240's we've owned. I like the improvements over our 760 turbo. I don't like the extra repairs this car has had.

Favorite Features

You feel so safe in this car. I like the visibility (low window sills). Great features. You can drive all day and still feel refreshed. The body has a timeless design that looks good even after 13 years. Rear wheel drive is nice - new Volvos are front wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

We've had a few too many repairs on our Volvo. We have 98K miles on the car now. Parts replaced: radiator shift position assy, driver side door hinge assy, rear shocks - Nivomat, O2 Sensor, knock sensor and power dr seat plastic. Gas mileage is so-so. Dark brake dust all over the wheels.

Once a Volvo owner, ALWAYS an owner
By Ryan Tucholski

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo, but my first sedan. Purchased at auction for $1800 to drive me from Toledo to Detroit everyday for work. Reliable, comfortable, fast and solid! Typical Volvo issues such as lousy cup holders and horrible air conditioning fan speeds. Overall, the 960 is a wonderful car! I have 113k miles on this auto, and put almost 30k a year on cars, so I know this will last me a while!

Favorite Features

So luxurious! This car is solid! Car also turns on a dime!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders of course, and the 1995 960 has little head room for us tall guys!

Very useful Wagon
By qualityfirst1

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Our wagon has been very useful. Great for hauling stuff and camping. This is our 5th Volvo and by far the most luxurious. This is not a luxury car, like our BMW 540i, Infiniti M45 or Mercedes 300CE. It does have some really nice amenities, such as dual power memory seats, power moon roof, chrome wheels, antilock brakes, cd changer, Leather interior, Power package, etc. We took her on a two week camping trip and she performed great. The 2.9 straight 6 is a nice engine. 4 wheel discs are good. Suspension is fairly well controlled. We have had our share of maintenance/repair issues, but nothing like our BMW or MBZ. This is one of the last rear wheel drive Volvos.

Favorite Features

Great visibility. Safe. Nicely appointed. Good conservative looks. Great turning radius. Wonderful hauler. Great city or highway car. Strong, smooth engine. Overall a very nice package with a lot of bang for the buck.

Suggested Improvements

Nivomat rear suspension is expensive to maintain (shocks over $300). Air cond system leaks freon. Seats a little flat (don't hold well). Small nuisance items - neutral start switch, bad radiator, rear hatch shocks, warped front rotors. At 88K mi, I can't complain too much.