1995 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
Volvo - Never Again
By texas_forrest on 09/18/06 15:02 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Cannot explain how poor this car has been. 8 years of ownership = $9000+ in repairs (excluding maintenance)=> Power Steering Pump, Tensioner Pulleys, Radiator (twice!), Catalytic Converter, Fuel Rail, Idle Control Valve, Electronic Sensors, Oil Seals, Insulation off of Wiring - things that should not fail!

family fun
By gandyexpress on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

overall experience with this volvo is great. we own two other older models and the improvements on this one are fantastic

First and Last Volvo
By sketchie on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Like the old volvo style and have really enjoyed the handling and comfort but it has been a maintenance nightmare. Electrical problems with many features such as transmission settings, shiftlock, seat adjustments, etc. Two A/C compressors and two rear crank seal failures. Have heard good things about other Volvo models but this isn't one I would recommend.

Best car I've owned...hands down
By J.T on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I've owned a BMW and a lexus...my volvo leave them in the dust. Put 11K on it without a single problem outside the regular maintaince. The inline six is smooth and very powerful for a 9 year old car. Handling is great. Awesome sound system. Classic Volvo style inside out. The only thing that bugged me was the cup holder (very flemsy but useful with a steady hand). Moving out of state is forcing me to sell, my heart will break to see it go. This car left such a impreesion on me that I'm now a loyal Volvo enthusiast and will buy another in a heartbeat. If you find either a used 960 or S90, BUY IT!!!

Volvo 95
By dnbdrost on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

We have had 2 of these Volvos, and they have been very good and reliable vehicles. We found them more reliable than Consumer Reports indicated in its "Frequency of Repair" ratings, and we have 112,000 miles on it. We have had a few minor problems over the years, but nothing over $200 each time. Unfortunately, they are no longer the safest car on the road, which they once were.

Great Investment
By rubic on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family since it was new. I travel up to 200 miles per day on business and this thing just keeps going. The ride is great, fuel economy is ok. Clients get a kick that is 8 year old. I cleans up real well. No major complaints at 150K.

The best car in the world
By Nybbe on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

The 1995 Volvo 960 E 2,5 I´m driving now is the best car I ever had. The engine and automatic gearbox works in perfect harmony. There is no other car on the market with better seats..... And the design really breathes luxury, both exterior aswell as interior

1995 Volvo 960
By ohmyteacher on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I was looking for safety, stability, "not new" (parking at college can ruin a car), and an auto that we could agree on for my college- aged child and I drove the car for six months before I sent it to him. I really enjoyed the way it handled (stable), instrumentation, location of controls, etc. I was also glad to find that the fuel economy was not bad at all (compared to other vehicles we have owned). My general driving to an from work averaged a 24mpg. On longer distance runs I had up to 29mpg. Very impressive for such a heavy car!

volvo 960
By dos broggy on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Solid car, no problems, does not handle well in snow...

Excellent Car
By Jeff Clark on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This car, overall, is excellent. Living between New Jersey and Massachusetts, my only major complaint is the poor traction in wet weather, but this is a result of the rear wheel drive, which makes the car much more fun to drive on dry days. I have had no major mechanical problems, and after a major accident, I walked away with no injuries and a good-as-new car once fixed.