Used 1995 Volvo 960 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Great value, low cost.
By Mark

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2012 from a neighbor in Florida, for my parents who came to visit from Europe for 2 months. It was cheap, and I intended to resell it after 2 months for the same price. Before advertising it, I decided to drive it my self for a while, and I liked it so much, I decided to keep it a bit longer, to save miles on my other car (Mercedes). I've had a few small repair, like the power steering pump, which I replaced my self with an used one for $35. The radio broke, and I replaced it for $50. I've been driving the car for 4 years now, and I spent a total of $400, including oil changes, and a new battery. Thats $100 per year, or 1 cent per mile, since I drove 10k/year. Last christmas I drove the car from Florida to Virginia and back (my other car was wrecked), put on 2000 miles, with no issues, and it drove as comfortabe as my Mercedes. The front struts are getting weak, which is a bigger repair, and after looking up the procedure, I will do the work my self. It will cost me about $350 in parts. The reason I am doing it is because I really like the car, and as she (only) has 200,000 miles on. I think I can get another 100k and 10 years out of her. I must say the car was well maintained before I bought it, and I will keep it that way. I will also have to replace the timing belt, brakes and tires one more time in order to reach 300k miles, which will be another nice DIY project. I am surprised how easy it is to work on this car. No need for special tools, everything is accessible. If you are a handy person like me, you could drive a car like this for around 1 cent per mile in maintenance. I bought this car for a 2 months use, and it looks like I will keep it for 14 years total. Another reason for my plan is, the paint and steel is high quality. The car is now 20 years old. The paint is still shiny, and there is no rust at all.

Hans....
By IguanaWN

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

That's my cars name. I bought him from a neighbor after the car sat for 1.5 years. It had two Major oil leaks and a Major league corroded battery disaster. After spending $600 and sweat, he was serviceable. Not bad. Since then I've replaced the front control arm bushings. Still needs ball- joints on the same arm. Speakers crackle, tensioner pulley. I'm still way ahead. Not a bad idea to know how to work on them if you own one. Solid car. It weighs 5k lbs, its a tank but doesn't feel it. No body rattle, doors and all Windows incl sunroof operate, a/c works. I enjoy Hans.

surprisingly powerful 6 cyl. amazing turn radius.

cupholders that work in American.

Great Car
By NuVolvoLuvr

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is one awesome car. I've only had it three weeks, but I love it. It drives like a Cadillac, smooth and sleek, fun to get in and drive. It's like the camaro for older adults. Plush and loaded, even at 14 years old, this car is one sweet ride. My suggestion, buy one from someone that has done maintenance to it, so you're good for a while, no problems here, I'm now sold on volvo for life...

Leather seats, smooth ride,lots of leg room for tall people on a long drive, love the heaviness of the body,plenty of bells and whistles

lack of headroom for taller people, cup holders are horribly cheap

It's a brick
By scubasteve

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car considering what I put it through. It has been stuck in the mud twice! Pulled out washed up good as new. I regularly test the straight six on the highway and it always responds well. Its rpm's rev up and then it goes a lot like a turbo but it's not. I also recently drove my Volvo which has 128,000 miles on it from Micihgan to Panama City, Florida non-stop both ways (almost 24 hrs one way) and it is still running like a champ. It got 26 mpg on the highway but city is much worse the rear wheel drive is awesome but living in Michigan I get stuck in snow and mud all the time. 4 wheel drive would be cool but rear is nice in the summer months

Straight six, handling, comfy seats, moonroof, looks like a tank, great trunk fits all my hockey stuff, sticks and all.

Better cup holders, better city mpg, larger back seat,

Wife's favorite
By ALFONSO

1995 Volvo 960 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this care used, 10 yr old. We never had a problem with it. Even for being 10 yrs old. In the snow we used winter mode on the trans and every other time economy mode. Decent power great turning radius. And great interior with all the extras. Did minor repairs like brakes and sun visor. The air was running on last leg, quoted 2500 to fix. If tranny went out quoted 3500 to fix. Luckily for me I did not have any problems. Highly complex electrical system. My mpg was around 14 for city and highway 21 the most gas used in sports mode.

Heated seats and wood grain. The sunroof was cool. And the exterior gold trim. Big deep trunk with a little hole in the back to fit some lumber.

More after market parts would have been nice. All improvements were made in later models.