1995 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
Hans....
By IguanaWN on 02/01/10 20:05 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

That's my cars name. I bought him from a neighbor after the car sat for 1.5 years. It had two Major oil leaks and a Major league corroded battery disaster. After spending $600 and sweat, he was serviceable. Not bad. Since then I've replaced the front control arm bushings. Still needs ball- joints on the same arm. Speakers crackle, tensioner pulley. I'm still way ahead. Not a bad idea to know how to work on them if you own one. Solid car. It weighs 5k lbs, its a tank but doesn't feel it. No body rattle, doors and all Windows incl sunroof operate, a/c works. I enjoy Hans.

Great Car
By NuVolvoLuvr on 12/19/09 12:48 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is one awesome car. I've only had it three weeks, but I love it. It drives like a Cadillac, smooth and sleek, fun to get in and drive. It's like the camaro for older adults. Plush and loaded, even at 14 years old, this car is one sweet ride. My suggestion, buy one from someone that has done maintenance to it, so you're good for a while, no problems here, I'm now sold on volvo for life...

One of the best
By Lasse on 11/08/09 06:59 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I was buying this car for my daughter 2003 over Ebay with 201000 miles on it. Now the car have past 420000 miles and still running good. The internel leak on the engine was the two first years of the car 1992-1993. But Volvo was replacing those engine for free what I have talk to Volvo Dealer about. And that the engine was made by Renault, I don't think so, that was the V6 engine in Volvo 260, 760 and 780. What I have find out the was working together with Porshe in Germany, to build this six cylinder engine and the 5 cylinder in Volvo 850. That was therefore they have so much trouble with the Renault,Peugeot and Citroen V6 engine.

95 960 Wagon
By AJ on 04/19/08 16:22 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Fun to drive but numerous expensive problems detracted from onership experience. Engine failed at 139,000 miles due to "porous block syndrome" which is common with the 2.9L aluminum block inline 6 cylinder engine. Virtually entire AC system had to be replaced. Leather trim on door panels was poorly adhered and delaminated. Factory Alpine stereo was phenomenal. Expensive to maintain. Be careful.

It's a brick
By scubasteve on 04/09/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car considering what I put it through. It has been stuck in the mud twice! Pulled out washed up good as new. I regularly test the straight six on the highway and it always responds well. Its rpm's rev up and then it goes a lot like a turbo but it's not. I also recently drove my Volvo which has 128,000 miles on it from Micihgan to Panama City, Florida non-stop both ways (almost 24 hrs one way) and it is still running like a champ. It got 26 mpg on the highway but city is much worse the rear wheel drive is awesome but living in Michigan I get stuck in snow and mud all the time. 4 wheel drive would be cool but rear is nice in the summer months

Wife's favorite
By ALFONSO on 04/04/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

We bought this care used, 10 yr old. We never had a problem with it. Even for being 10 yrs old. In the snow we used winter mode on the trans and every other time economy mode. Decent power great turning radius. And great interior with all the extras. Did minor repairs like brakes and sun visor. The air was running on last leg, quoted 2500 to fix. If tranny went out quoted 3500 to fix. Luckily for me I did not have any problems. Highly complex electrical system. My mpg was around 14 for city and highway 21 the most gas used in sports mode.

Upscale Wagon
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 12/26/07 22:59 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 960 Wagon used in early 2003 with only 40K mile. I've owned 5 Volvos prior to this and we've been very pleased with them (with the exception of the 1979 265 Wagon - PRV V-6 engine isn't very good). Our 960 is the most powerful Volvo we've owned and the most luxurious. It still feels utilitarian, but you get lots of nice amenities - Leather, moonroof, 6 disc changer, chrome wheels, power seats, etc. Why do you buy a Volvo? Of course, the safest car on the road and the 960 gives you the feeling of safety. This car feels safer than the 240's we've owned. I like the improvements over our 760 turbo. I don't like the extra repairs this car has had.

Once a Volvo owner, ALWAYS an owner
By Ryan Tucholski on 04/09/07 23:30 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo, but my first sedan. Purchased at auction for $1800 to drive me from Toledo to Detroit everyday for work. Reliable, comfortable, fast and solid! Typical Volvo issues such as lousy cup holders and horrible air conditioning fan speeds. Overall, the 960 is a wonderful car! I have 113k miles on this auto, and put almost 30k a year on cars, so I know this will last me a while!

Very useful Wagon
By qualityfirst1 on 03/16/07 22:04 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Our wagon has been very useful. Great for hauling stuff and camping. This is our 5th Volvo and by far the most luxurious. This is not a luxury car, like our BMW 540i, Infiniti M45 or Mercedes 300CE. It does have some really nice amenities, such as dual power memory seats, power moon roof, chrome wheels, antilock brakes, cd changer, Leather interior, Power package, etc. We took her on a two week camping trip and she performed great. The 2.9 straight 6 is a nice engine. 4 wheel discs are good. Suspension is fairly well controlled. We have had our share of maintenance/repair issues, but nothing like our BMW or MBZ. This is one of the last rear wheel drive Volvos.

Wonderful Car
By Pattywhiskers on 03/05/07 23:27 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I have a love affair with this car. It's beautiful with a restrained luxury and it is very reliable. I had it moved from Los Angeles to Maryland, and it has never missed a beat, even in the coldest and snowiest weather. It has only required regular maintenance. It is my third Volvo, however, probably my last. I think it lost ground when Ford acquired it. Also, I don't like the look of the S90.