Used 1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

Level II 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (6 reviews )

My most dependable Volvo
By sparklefern

1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Level II 4dr Wagon

A great long distance driver! The 960 is WAY more reliable than our XC which we are about to ditch. We got the 960 in good shape from neighbors in '99 w/only 38K miles on it. During our ownership, we replaced the catalytic converter and now the a/c evaporator and bellows, which will cost us plenty, but it's the most reliable car we have ever owned and we want to keep it going. The rest is typical stuff - oil, filter, brakes, belts, etc. Rear wheel drive is not great in snow, but just get some dedicated snow tires and take it easy and you're fine. Turning radius incredible. Seats truly comfortable.

Favorite Features

Compared to our '99 XC? Reliability, super comfortable memory seats, better sound system, plenty of leg and head room. Compared to most cars? Simple straightforward driving with LOTS of effortless power. Great on long drives, huge c.f. storage for a wagon. Easily read dials and buttons.

Suggested Improvements

Front wheel drive. Temp. gauge gave out 50 miles ago and costs $500+ to replace! I won't fix it for that kind of money, but I miss it. A built in CD player rather than just an excellent radio and tape player would've been nice.

94 960 Volvo
By Patricia

1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Level II 4dr Wagon

It has been a great car although I need to replace the AC at this time. As for design flaws, it does not have a drink holder and also the CD Changer in the trunk is not convenient. Other than that we have loved this car.

Favorite Features

I really like almost everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Add drink holders and cd player in the dash.

satisfied owner
By Harold

1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Level II 4dr Wagon

I bought car from Volvo dealer at 3 yrs old and 34,000 miles, now have 71,000 I like driving this car I think more than any car I have owned, it is easy to drive, feels secure, always reliable, excellent visibilty, turns in small radius, still looks good, I averaged 27 mpg on recent 1200 mile road trip. Major work in last 4 yrs, timing belt 400.00, four wheel brake job $500.00 and just recently catylic converter and oxagen sensor, $950.00, labor rates here are 80-90 dollars/hour still repairs not too bad in 8yrs.

My Great Volvo Wagon
By hfg girl

1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Level II 4dr Wagon

I love my Volvo Wagon. It has the comfort and reliability and safety that I want in my kid hauler. It is fun to drive and I know I am in a really safe car. This car has a mighty motor with lots of pick up...handles extremely well. I have been the sole owner and all my maintenance has been done by the dealership. I have had to replace the ball joints, brakes, tires - things that normally wear out. Since I live in a snowy climate, I use 4 Nokia snow tires and the winter driving mode to get up hills etc. My gas milage is about 19 - 20 mpg, but the car runs well on reg. unleaded gas.

Favorite Features

I love the seats - so comfortable - and they heat up fast in winter. I love the feel that I am driving a little tank for our protection. I love the built in child seat and the safety features. I am amazed at what I have carried in the back end!

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had a CD player in my car.

Great Car
By tjts1

1994 Volvo 960 Wagon Level II 4dr Wagon

I've been very happy with my 960. This car has been very reliable. For 9 years old it is in very good shape. Maintenance is extremely impotent and can be expensive if you use a dealer. You really have to take a proactive approach and not wait till something goes wrong. I do all my own maintenance that keeps my running costs low. Things like timing belt and fluids are critical. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

Reliability, room and build quality. After 9 years all the accessories still work. There is plenty of room under the hood to work on this car if you are so inclined. The power will surprise the guy in the next lane.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy