Used 1994 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

Basically A B-52
By Zane Allen

1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4dr Sedan

ah, my beloved 960. 231,000 and going strong. I drive 50 miles round trip daily, but this car makes it a comfortable, enjoyable, experience. the power is a little subdued in the city, but more prominent during highway driving. unfortunately, I had to replace the transmission at 215,000, not to the fault of the transmission- but the radiator. the transmission is cooled by the radiator and the internal cooler allowed coolant to slowly make its way into the transmission, and by the time i caught it, all hope was pretty much lost. I was able to replace it for a reasonable price (also played it safe and installed an external cooler.) the seats in this car are absolutely superb, supportive in more ways than one. the sound system is pretty decent for a car from 1994. the heater will make you sweat in a matter of a few minutes, but the a/c has always been problematic, and chances are if you're looking at one, the a/c isn't functional. typically the freon leaks out of the evaporator core (which is housed inside the dash and requires the dash to be pulled in order to change it- not a smart idea with all the brittle volvo plastic) not worth replacing at this point. of course it's had its fair share of repairs, and im going to list them all here: SRS clock spring, carrier bearing, front sway bar bushings, mass airflow sensor, ect sensor, throttle position sensor, in-tank fuel pump, shift linkage bushings, PNP switch, new transmission, radiator, and power antenna. this car still starts right up every day and gets me where I need to go, and I love the looks I get from nostalgic volvo drivers. if you're looking for an old, reliable volvo, you've found the one

It's a tank / workhorse
By Volvo Guy

1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 960 (160k miles)for the last 2 years. this car is very reliable and offers a lot of options for a 94 Volvo (leather, power everything, sunroof, CD, spoiler). I drive across Texas on a regular basis and it's had no major mechanical problems. Please do maintain on a regular basis and get tune ups every 25k miles and this car will not hesitate once.

Power seat motors have always been known to go out in these older Volvo's.

My most dependable Volvo
By sparklefern

1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4dr Wagon

A great long distance driver! The 960 is WAY more reliable than our XC which we are about to ditch. We got the 960 in good shape from neighbors in '99 w/only 38K miles on it. During our ownership, we replaced the catalytic converter and now the a/c evaporator and bellows, which will cost us plenty, but it's the most reliable car we have ever owned and we want to keep it going. The rest is typical stuff - oil, filter, brakes, belts, etc. Rear wheel drive is not great in snow, but just get some dedicated snow tires and take it easy and you're fine. Turning radius incredible. Seats truly comfortable.

Compared to our '99 XC? Reliability, super comfortable memory seats, better sound system, plenty of leg and head room. Compared to most cars? Simple straightforward driving with LOTS of effortless power. Great on long drives, huge c.f. storage for a wagon. Easily read dials and buttons.

Front wheel drive. Temp. gauge gave out 50 miles ago and costs $500+ to replace! I won't fix it for that kind of money, but I miss it. A built in CD player rather than just an excellent radio and tape player would've been nice.

94 960 Volvo
By Patricia

1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4dr Wagon

It has been a great car although I need to replace the AC at this time. As for design flaws, it does not have a drink holder and also the CD Changer in the trunk is not convenient. Other than that we have loved this car.

I really like almost everything about this car.

Add drink holders and cd player in the dash.

satisfied owner
By Harold

1994 Volvo 960 Level II 4dr Wagon

I bought car from Volvo dealer at 3 yrs old and 34,000 miles, now have 71,000 I like driving this car I think more than any car I have owned, it is easy to drive, feels secure, always reliable, excellent visibilty, turns in small radius, still looks good, I averaged 27 mpg on recent 1200 mile road trip. Major work in last 4 yrs, timing belt 400.00, four wheel brake job $500.00 and just recently catylic converter and oxagen sensor, $950.00, labor rates here are 80-90 dollars/hour still repairs not too bad in 8yrs.