Used 1993 Volvo 960 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Happy original owner
By moondog14

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought new end of '92 and presently have 141,000 miles. By far finest of 4 Volvo wagons owned incl. 240/760/V70AWD (2001 w/tranny probs @ 90,000 mi still own). Independent shop signed off on timing belt change at 60,000mi. but failed to do-failed at 65,000 mi. and they made good $5k eng. rebuild at dealer. Fabulous highway car with 25mpg fully loaded and lots of pep in town. Only very minor maint. issues since. If you can find a nice clean one-grab it!

Sleek looks and comfort-a real Volvo untainted by Ford or TATA involvement. Straight 6 really whines on the open road!N

None

Sorry to see it go
By 4mykids

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I now understand why people say once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner! I had this wagon for over 10 years and I loved everything about it. It was very easy to maintain and I never had unreasonable mechanical problems. It has excellent acceleration and control. I always felt VERY safe in it. I used it for carpool for my three kids, and three neighborhood children, who loved the rear-facing seat and who all fit nicely...until now. That is the reason we finally got a new car. The rear seat is a bit small for the pre-teen and teenagers!

Safety, ride, comfort, gas mileage, style, quality.

Great
By bigballa

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

a great all around car fun car plenty of horses and comfortable one of teh best volvos ever built

the heated leather seats

keep building them

Good solid car
By riding

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

The car has been very stable and solid and has handled well in snow and bad weather. However my wife was driving the car one time and aquaplaned into a tree and had light damage but nothing serious. I have put in a mix of 1 tank premium to two tanks of regular gas and has run well. I have the larger motor and pull a trailer behind it with no problem, so I would highly recommend it as a good work horse of a family vehicle. I find that changing the timing belt aftr every 40K miles excessive but that is the only negative thing about it.

Heated seats when they worked were great. The driver's died on me last winter which I miss. The sun roof is wonderful.

Better handling on water (the tires are the best Michelin's) and the electical could do with some improvement.

Excellent Ride, Reliable, Comfortable
By kareng

1993 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

The 1993 Volvo 960 wagon has been an excellent vehicle for our family for almost 6 1/2 years. It is roomy, comfortable, is fun to drive, and has been very reliable. The cargo space with the 3rd seat folded down is huge, and we have no trouble packing for a 2- week vacation. I have no complaints about this car, with the possible exception of the gas mileage, which is about 15/21. The powerful engine is the culprit here, but also a nice thing when driving with a full load. Our children and their friends have outgrown the 3rd seat, so we are trading for more of a minivan type car. Otherwise we would keep this one for many more years.

Leather seats, seat warmers, great cornering, feels very solid.

Well, like most Americans, I feel the cup holders could be more substantial!