1993 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
Happy original owner
By moondog14 on 08/06/14 10:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Bought new end of '92 and presently have 141,000 miles. By far finest of 4 Volvo wagons owned incl. 240/760/V70AWD (2001 w/tranny probs @ 90,000 mi still own). Independent shop signed off on timing belt change at 60,000mi. but failed to do-failed at 65,000 mi. and they made good $5k eng. rebuild at dealer. Fabulous highway car with 25mpg fully loaded and lots of pep in town. Only very minor maint. issues since. If you can find a nice clean one-grab it!

Inge the 960
By Beast on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I bought "Inge" with about 120,000 miles on her. Now has 180,000 and still going strong. Great car. Very reliable. Only problems were electrical gremlins (replace coil wires-they get brittle - make sure fuel injection harness doesn't rub through where it goes through the intake and check and clean grounds) Engine runs great. Comfortable. All the luxury features. Just wish they sold 960's with a 5 spd. like they did in Europe. Hopefully she will be good for another 180,000 miles. If not, she doesn't owe me anything!

Inge the 960
By beast on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car for 3 years. Great car if you can do the maintenance and repairs yourself or have a good honest mechanic. Parts expensive. Need to maintain it and it will be good to you. Wiring harness to fuel injectors/coils can disintegrate and cause hard to trace problems

One ole tank
By Dr. Psy.D on 09/16/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 84,150 miles when it was 16 years old. No problems other than minor: check engine light, sunroof is stuck, and other minor details mostly due to age. With premium gas and adhering to speed limits driving steadily even with a/c on I get nearly 26mpg. Power is good despite the weight and age and car insurance rates are pure joy. The car feels safe and predictable at all times, comfort and noise level are superb, and so are the turning radius, oversight, and trunk space. Due to extreme UV the leather seats are a bit dried out but I am definitely sold on Volvo and hope it will last much longer.

Sorry to see it go
By 4mykids on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I now understand why people say once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner! I had this wagon for over 10 years and I loved everything about it. It was very easy to maintain and I never had unreasonable mechanical problems. It has excellent acceleration and control. I always felt VERY safe in it. I used it for carpool for my three kids, and three neighborhood children, who loved the rear-facing seat and who all fit nicely...until now. That is the reason we finally got a new car. The rear seat is a bit small for the pre-teen and teenagers!

Great
By bigballa on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

a great all around car fun car plenty of horses and comfortable one of teh best volvos ever built

Good solid car
By riding on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The car has been very stable and solid and has handled well in snow and bad weather. However my wife was driving the car one time and aquaplaned into a tree and had light damage but nothing serious. I have put in a mix of 1 tank premium to two tanks of regular gas and has run well. I have the larger motor and pull a trailer behind it with no problem, so I would highly recommend it as a good work horse of a family vehicle. I find that changing the timing belt aftr every 40K miles excessive but that is the only negative thing about it.

Excellent Ride, Reliable, Comfortable
By kareng on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The 1993 Volvo 960 wagon has been an excellent vehicle for our family for almost 6 1/2 years. It is roomy, comfortable, is fun to drive, and has been very reliable. The cargo space with the 3rd seat folded down is huge, and we have no trouble packing for a 2- week vacation. I have no complaints about this car, with the possible exception of the gas mileage, which is about 15/21. The powerful engine is the culprit here, but also a nice thing when driving with a full load. Our children and their friends have outgrown the 3rd seat, so we are trading for more of a minivan type car. Otherwise we would keep this one for many more years.

me
By me2 on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. I bought it at almost 60k and have put another 100k miles on it. Still rides like a new car.

Sweet
By cygideon on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

This car is a sweet thing. Best car I've ever owned. Very comfortable, wth simple but elegant styling. Solid and smooth. Love it.