Used 1992 Volvo 960 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Evolution?
By wmict

1992 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

You would think that after building this car for soo many years that Volvo would have paid more attention to the details. The same switches that failed on my 86 740 wagon failed again on my 92 960 wagon. The electrical demons under the hood came back ten fold on this model and I had to endure poorer performance from a six cylinder engine than I had from my old four banger. Doesn't Volvo have any engineers left that look at these long term problems and actually address some of them?

Favorite Features

After looking at the minivan offerings I still bought a Volvo wagon. You can't beat the space and the improved ride and handling over what the minivans offer. The third seat is great for the kids (only kids) and the safety record of the car goes without saying.

Suggested Improvements

Hey Volvo, fire the company that makes your switches and find someone that can make a window go up and down. I also don't understand the overpricing of replacement parts when I know for a fact that BMW uses some of the same driveline parts and is 30% less than what you're asking.

1992 965 Afordable Safety & luxury
By SL960

1992 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

The last of the rear wheel drive volvo (later called S/V90) Truely a perfect combination of power and comfort. Smooth inline 6 aluminum engine producing 200HP (1995+models dropped to 180HP -cam profile changed to higher torque at lower RPM) The nivomats suspention provides supirior ride quality even with a full load (1030LBS) Priority maintainance:Timming belt (30K)!!!! Anwsers at www*brickboard*com

Favorite Features

Power + comfort

Suggested Improvements

Well made Sweedish machine. Design flaws result from bureaucratic enigma!

10 yrs old, still beats any US made car
By Buy Foreign

1992 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I've had my 960 wagon for a few years and the only problems I've had have been caused by mechanics who lacked the intelligence needed to get the job done right the first time. After 10 model years, it is superior to just about every new car available for under $40K. It's the ultimate road trip car, and works suprisingly well in the winter with a round of snow tires. The paint job on this car is outstanding too.

Favorite Features

Power: 204hp, 2500RPM at 75MPH Seating: roomy and comfortable The 960 is loaded

Suggested Improvements

The plastic nipple that leads to the overflow tank for the plastic radiator is an incredibly stupid design. The garage I go to broke this nipple and had to replace the entire radiator. That cost the dealership $500. That's right, $500 for a PLASTIC RADIATOR. Maybe that's a good deal in Sweden.

What Junk
By yelowd

1992 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I will never buy a volvo again. I don't know why everyone thinks they're such great cars. In less than 6 months at 76,000 I had to replace blown heater lines, the bearing that holds the drive shaft (so it wouldn't bang against the bottom of the car), a blown head gasket (stupid aluminum engine), and an endless headache of electrical problems: power roof switch, dash lights going out, and drivers side heated seat stopped heating. Under the hood the electrical is crap, too. The interior quality is crap, too. The trim would come loose and it had tons of squeeks and rattles.

Favorite Features

Ignoring the rattles and when everything was working, the ride was smooth and the engine had plenty of power. Also the seats were very comfortable and the interior is very roomy. The turning radius is wicked.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, gas mileage, electrical systems.

Like a rock
By j Quist

1992 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have newer cars but I always prefer this car, it's fast but would never draw attention to the cops. My dogs love it because it's not so high off the ground easy to get into. It runs along at 80+ like a Mercedes without the Mercedes non sense of sky high repair bills.

Favorite Features

Leather seats like leather is suppose to be