1992 Volvo 960 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 960 model:
It keeps on ticking
By phenry on 01/10/10 18:41 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 2002. It has 250,000 on it now. I purchased it at 176,000. The major problem is the timing belt change every 30,000. I have done 3 so far. I also had to replace the compressor when I purchased it. Recently I had to replace tubing leading to the gas tank because it was leaking gas. Other than that it has been routine maintenance. It is the best car I have ever had. Now I have to add a quart between oil changes which is not bad for a 250K car. I hope I can buy another 960 used with low mileage when this one goes down. I am hoping to make it to 300K.

amazing value
By olmar on 03/06/07 19:53 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

great car overall. daily driver and a use it to commute 20 minutes everyday. great on gas, great ride, superb quality.

What Junk
By yelowd on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I will never buy a volvo again. I don't know why everyone thinks they're such great cars. In less than 6 months at 76,000 I had to replace blown heater lines, the bearing that holds the drive shaft (so it wouldn't bang against the bottom of the car), a blown head gasket (stupid aluminum engine), and an endless headache of electrical problems: power roof switch, dash lights going out, and drivers side heated seat stopped heating. Under the hood the electrical is crap, too. The interior quality is crap, too. The trim would come loose and it had tons of squeeks and rattles.

1992 965 Afordable Safety & luxury
By SL960 on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The last of the rear wheel drive volvo (later called S/V90) Truely a perfect combination of power and comfort. Smooth inline 6 aluminum engine producing 200HP (1995+models dropped to 180HP -cam profile changed to higher torque at lower RPM) The nivomats suspention provides supirior ride quality even with a full load (1030LBS) Priority maintainance:Timming belt (30K)!!!! Anwsers at www*brickboard*com

The ride and performance excel...
By tfc on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is the car of all cars when it comes to comfort, safety, and performance. I can drive this car all-day-long, and still look forward driving the next day.

Evolution?
By wmict on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

You would think that after building this car for soo many years that Volvo would have paid more attention to the details. The same switches that failed on my 86 740 wagon failed again on my 92 960 wagon. The electrical demons under the hood came back ten fold on this model and I had to endure poorer performance from a six cylinder engine than I had from my old four banger. Doesn't Volvo have any engineers left that look at these long term problems and actually address some of them?

Best one made
By 92_960_76_244DL on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I have tried and tried to find something wrong with this car and, although it was entirely my fault, i have found only one: the timing belt needs to be changed every 53,000Km, which is fine, assuming your previous owner has done this, however, if it is not replaced and breaks, your valves and cylinders will continue to move out of time, which will send your pistons right into your valves. So far this has cost me 6 months without my 960 (due to financial difficulty) 2 of those it has been worked on. It has only cost me about $1500(US) to replace my head and a few gaskets, its worth it.

Like a rock
By j Quist on 03/13/02 12:51 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I have newer cars but I always prefer this car, it's fast but would never draw attention to the cops. My dogs love it because it's not so high off the ground easy to get into. It runs along at 80+ like a Mercedes without the Mercedes non sense of sky high repair bills.

Volvo 960
By spedboy_23 on 03/03/02 12:06 PM (PST)

This is a great car.

10 yrs old, still beats any US made car
By Buy Foreign on 02/23/02 16:03 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I've had my 960 wagon for a few years and the only problems I've had have been caused by mechanics who lacked the intelligence needed to get the job done right the first time. After 10 model years, it is superior to just about every new car available for under $40K. It's the ultimate road trip car, and works suprisingly well in the winter with a round of snow tires. The paint job on this car is outstanding too.