Used 1992 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

It keeps on ticking
By phenry

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 2002. It has 250,000 on it now. I purchased it at 176,000. The major problem is the timing belt change every 30,000. I have done 3 so far. I also had to replace the compressor when I purchased it. Recently I had to replace tubing leading to the gas tank because it was leaking gas. Other than that it has been routine maintenance. It is the best car I have ever had. Now I have to add a quart between oil changes which is not bad for a 250K car. I hope I can buy another 960 used with low mileage when this one goes down. I am hoping to make it to 300K.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride; good power; firm handling. I still have the original paint that still shines.

Suggested Improvements

They have stopped making this model. I think the timing belt was improved in later models.

amazing value
By olmar

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

great car overall. daily driver and a use it to commute 20 minutes everyday. great on gas, great ride, superb quality.

Favorite Features

sunroof, leather seats pwr, sport/winter/economy mode VERY NICE!

Suggested Improvements

none

What Junk
By yelowd

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I will never buy a volvo again. I don't know why everyone thinks they're such great cars. In less than 6 months at 76,000 I had to replace blown heater lines, the bearing that holds the drive shaft (so it wouldn't bang against the bottom of the car), a blown head gasket (stupid aluminum engine), and an endless headache of electrical problems: power roof switch, dash lights going out, and drivers side heated seat stopped heating. Under the hood the electrical is crap, too. The interior quality is crap, too. The trim would come loose and it had tons of squeeks and rattles.

Favorite Features

Ignoring the rattles and when everything was working, the ride was smooth and the engine had plenty of power. Also the seats were very comfortable and the interior is very roomy. The turning radius is wicked.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, gas mileage, electrical systems.

1992 965 Afordable Safety & luxury
By SL960

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

The last of the rear wheel drive volvo (later called S/V90) Truely a perfect combination of power and comfort. Smooth inline 6 aluminum engine producing 200HP (1995+models dropped to 180HP -cam profile changed to higher torque at lower RPM) The nivomats suspention provides supirior ride quality even with a full load (1030LBS) Priority maintainance:Timming belt (30K)!!!! Anwsers at www*brickboard*com

Favorite Features

Power + comfort

Suggested Improvements

Well made Sweedish machine. Design flaws result from bureaucratic enigma!

The ride and performance excel...
By tfc

1992 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is the car of all cars when it comes to comfort, safety, and performance. I can drive this car all-day-long, and still look forward driving the next day.

Favorite Features

All.

Suggested Improvements

Better lighting on main lights, fog lights really help, but still could use more light output.