1995 Volvo 940 Consumer Review: Love my Swedish Brick!!!

1995 Volvo 940 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.3L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Love my Swedish Brick!!!
By Ranchuk on

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

I come from a long line of Volvo fans and have owned three...two 240's & this '95 940 wagon (now at 150K mi). Although it's started to look a little worn around the edges, we still love it!! No, it's not exciting, it's not sexy, it's not exhilarating to drive, but it's comfy, safe and dependable and I'll take that over flash & excitement any time. With the rear seats down, the cargo area is huge, with a low sill and flat floor. The rear hatch swings up and out of the way...no head-banging like I deal with on our Acura MDX!. Unfortunately, the '95 940 was the last of the RWD Volvos that featured the most dependable drivetrain ever built, so it'll probably be my last brick.

Easy to find parts, relatively easy to work on and just keeps running and running. Oh, and the best part is that its boring school-marm appearance acts as a cloaking device to the highway patrol! You can drive it with impunity at 90 mph...right thru a speed trap! Well, perhaps I exaggerate...

The cruise control needs a "coast" or "decel" setting. It eats light bulbs & front brake pads (pad wear probably my fault) and some interior plastic parts have started to break, but after 150K miles without a major failure, I can cut it some slack if a sun-baked speaker cover falls off, y'know?