Used 1995 Volvo 940 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Awesome brick
By iroll

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Volvo 940 is a dependable, solid car that you can expect to own for over two decades with proper maintenance. It has a roomy interior but is thin enough to get through tight spots. Due the weight of the steel it takes a while to get the car moving, but once up to speed, it drives smoothly and is very maneuverable. Safe, long lasting, cheap to insure, and averages a respectable 22 mpg in the city. Can't go wrong with this car.

ABS, rear wheel drive, power everything, leather, agility

No cupholders, head lights always on

Well tested engine and transmission.
By Frank Frieberg

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

1995 940. I bought it 7 years ago with 90,000 miles on it and now it has 207,000. Two years ago I was looking to replace it with a reliable used car with ABS, front air bags, cheap insurance and some sort of side impact protection. I could not find anything affordable so I spent 4 grand and had everything done to my current volvo. The engine runs like new, the transmission is starting to feel rougher than it did at 90k but should be good for another 50k at least. The best thing is...this is the same engine as latter year 240s, replacement engines are cheap, parts are on the internet, Swedishbricks website can tell you how to fix anything on your car.

Everything is easy to fix or work on. Great expertise on the net to draw from. Wonderful seats, cheap parts, okay gas mileage,feel safe letting my kids drive it knowing I did everything to make them safe.

Make my wife stop calling them nerd mobiles and start a massive re- education program for people whom tell me, "even Michael Jordan wouldn't look cool driving a station wagon."

This is a great car.
By kobilar

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I own only Volvos, for safety reasons, and I bought this 1995 940 for my teenage son. We have had no problems with it, although I have had problems with much newer ones. Mechanically nothing ever goes wrong. Gas mileage is really great. Looks good from exterior. Interior looks dated but it is very comfortable. I often drive it myself and would not be affraid to take it on a long trip. We just couldn't be happier with it.

4 cylinder -- decent power and great mileage.

The interior is dated. No cup holders, etc.

1995 Volvo Turbo Sedan
By LCJ

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

One of 3 Volvos (89-740T, 940T &97- 850), we put 100k miles on this one. My wife does the majority of driving (15- 18k mi/yr) for work and short family trips. We needed room for 2 child seats & grandmother so good rear seat/trunk space were critical. Mostly minor maintenance (oil, gas), two sets of brake rotors (wobbles) required, one timing belt (133k mi) - not too bad overall. The B230 turbo motor is one of Volvo's best and it worked great for us. Once the Turbo spins up (lots of lag) there's plenty of power to move the very solid feeling car around. Has the famous Volvo turning circle (better than 850). Very solid and mostly reliable car.

Very comfortable front seats (especially for long drives), very good sounding stereo, lots of rear seat and trunk space, great turning circle, better than 20MPG. Solid and safe feeling. Turbo still spining strong at 135k miles.

Brake wobbles were a pain and rotor replacement is expensive. Possible electrical issues - light bulbs burn out regularly and we had a quirky radio. Cooling system is starting to see issues (radiator and AC leaks)

What A Volvo Is
By johnnyd

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

All in all not a bad vehicle. I personally believe that this car is the epitome of what a Volvo really is. Simple, safe and effective at it's duties, it does nothing to stand out in one personal area. It does cost a pretty penny to service, and burns through tires quickly... but the tradeoffs in safety and comfort are worth it.

Good gas milage at the expense of power, very high feeling of safety, decent stock sound system and relatively few problems.

OEM gaskets and seals are terrible, if buying used, check for oil leaks around gaskets. Low power and has an appetite for tires. Light bulbs also burn out kinda frequently

• SUV