Used 1995 Volvo 940 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

My new old Volvo
By catsofmany

1995 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

My husband and I just bought a 1995 940 Volvo wagon with 247,000 miles on it. My car for the last 12 years and 174,000 miles has been a 2000 WS6 Trans Am. We bought it new and basically I drove it year round but avoided snow storms. Sadly a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold has taken the car off the road. So we searched for cheap used cars to get us by until we can fix the TA. I had read the reviews about the Volvo and we found one for $740.00. It just needed a driver front tie rod end but luckily it had been taken care of and all the brakes were new. Mind you, going from a Trans Am with incredible power even at the high mileage, incredible handling and the heaviness of the car…I was worried I would be miserable in anything else.

Favorite Features

This little wagon handles wonderfully…great on gas…beautiful cloth seats…power windows, dr. locks…that all work. A heater so hot you could fry eggs on the dash…A/C needs to be recharged…Not as powerful by any means as my TA but goes right along and doesn’t fail at a hill. Very pleased with our old Volvo and even when my TA gets fixed, we’re going to keep it. Rated a 3 on reliability because we haven't had it very long.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders would be nice.

An A-1 Auto
By Robert Selvig

1995 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

My 940 has been my drive 99% of its 106,000 miles. In my 70+ years of driving no other car has come close to pure pleasure. It has yet to be dinged or dented and has always run on Michelins. The ride is solid, acceleration is adequate. I frequently cast an eye at newer cars, then look at my white wagon and ask myself "why should I?". Chances are I will keep this one.

Favorite Features

Seats, Brakes, Controls, visibility and durability.

Suggested Improvements

??

Love my Swedish Brick!!!
By Ranchuk

1995 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I come from a long line of Volvo fans and have owned three...two 240's & this '95 940 wagon (now at 150K mi). Although it's started to look a little worn around the edges, we still love it!! No, it's not exciting, it's not sexy, it's not exhilarating to drive, but it's comfy, safe and dependable and I'll take that over flash & excitement any time. With the rear seats down, the cargo area is huge, with a low sill and flat floor. The rear hatch swings up and out of the way...no head-banging like I deal with on our Acura MDX!. Unfortunately, the '95 940 was the last of the RWD Volvos that featured the most dependable drivetrain ever built, so it'll probably be my last brick.

Favorite Features

Easy to find parts, relatively easy to work on and just keeps running and running. Oh, and the best part is that its boring school-marm appearance acts as a cloaking device to the highway patrol! You can drive it with impunity at 90 mph...right thru a speed trap! Well, perhaps I exaggerate...

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control needs a "coast" or "decel" setting. It eats light bulbs & front brake pads (pad wear probably my fault) and some interior plastic parts have started to break, but after 150K miles without a major failure, I can cut it some slack if a sun-baked speaker cover falls off, y'know?

Fine Car
By Dixieland

1995 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have owned many cars both foreign and domestic but this is by far the finest car that I have owned. It was purchased in 1998 with 43,000 miles and now has 120,000. Other than tires, and belts the only thing that has been replaced is the radiator, not bad for almost 80,000 miles. It is a reliable and safe car. The engine is well known to go over 300,000 miles.Thank you Volvo