1995 Volvo 940 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
Vixen 19+ years (bought new in 1995)
By vixensmom on 08/04/14 18:16 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I was in my 30's and my husband (an EE & Vette guy ) yawned at my boring choice. Fast forward 19+ yrs, he is just elated with Vixen at 325,000 miles, although she periodically needs some money thrown in, Our car doc said it was one of the best models made. Great engineering. We are waiting for a good electric car to come out, and if Vixen should die, we'll buy an old Volvo. This car has been terrific. She boxy, boring, and nothing flashy, but her turning radius is amazing! We love our Vixen

Volvo RIP
By VolVoLuv on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a co-worker. I drove this car for 40k+ miles with no major issues. It was great on gas, handled excellent, and was very comfortable. I unfortunately totaled it on my birthday a few days ago when someone ran a stop sign. I had a head on collision at 40 mph with the other car and then hit a telephone pole with the side of the car before coming to a stop. This car saved our lives and it will be missed. I have owned lots of cars including BMW, Honda, Toyota, even Hummer and know that none of them would have done this well in an accident. RIP Volvo 940. 164k miles and would have lasted at least 164k more Great car! Looking for another Volvo now.

great basic transportation
By stanger on 12/23/09 18:12 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

great car built like a rock tried and true tank awesome 2.3 inline 4 not fast but a great engine with never let you down

nice little commuter
By pcal on 03/04/09 19:45 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 1995 Volvo in jan of 08 it had 71,000 miles which is soooo low for a Volvo it now has 78,000 its a great car comfy looks classy

Over 200k Miles and Still Going Strong
By Julie on 12/17/08 20:22 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just graduated college and started a new job and now I want nothing more than to buy a new car. But I can't justify it because my '95 Volvo 940 just won't die! My parents bought it with 130k mi and I learned to drive on it about 6yrs ago. It's a bit sluggish so I'd recommend the turbo. The only major repairs we've done are a new alternator about 2 yrs ago, new gas pump about 5 yrs ago, and some belts and sensors last year. As long as you do your part to maintain them, they'll keep running for a loooong time. Great car for a teen since they're very safe and they couldn't get a speeding ticket if they tried. Also a great deal for the price.

Awesome brick
By iroll on 10/20/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Volvo 940 is a dependable, solid car that you can expect to own for over two decades with proper maintenance. It has a roomy interior but is thin enough to get through tight spots. Due the weight of the steel it takes a while to get the car moving, but once up to speed, it drives smoothly and is very maneuverable. Safe, long lasting, cheap to insure, and averages a respectable 22 mpg in the city. Can't go wrong with this car.

Well tested engine and transmission.
By Frank Frieberg on 07/29/05 21:26 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

1995 940. I bought it 7 years ago with 90,000 miles on it and now it has 207,000. Two years ago I was looking to replace it with a reliable used car with ABS, front air bags, cheap insurance and some sort of side impact protection. I could not find anything affordable so I spent 4 grand and had everything done to my current volvo. The engine runs like new, the transmission is starting to feel rougher than it did at 90k but should be good for another 50k at least. The best thing is...this is the same engine as latter year 240s, replacement engines are cheap, parts are on the internet, Swedishbricks website can tell you how to fix anything on your car.

This is a great car.
By kobilar on 12/28/04 01:08 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I own only Volvos, for safety reasons, and I bought this 1995 940 for my teenage son. We have had no problems with it, although I have had problems with much newer ones. Mechanically nothing ever goes wrong. Gas mileage is really great. Looks good from exterior. Interior looks dated but it is very comfortable. I often drive it myself and would not be affraid to take it on a long trip. We just couldn't be happier with it.

1995 Volvo Turbo Sedan
By LCJ on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

One of 3 Volvos (89-740T, 940T &97- 850), we put 100k miles on this one. My wife does the majority of driving (15- 18k mi/yr) for work and short family trips. We needed room for 2 child seats & grandmother so good rear seat/trunk space were critical. Mostly minor maintenance (oil, gas), two sets of brake rotors (wobbles) required, one timing belt (133k mi) - not too bad overall. The B230 turbo motor is one of Volvo's best and it worked great for us. Once the Turbo spins up (lots of lag) there's plenty of power to move the very solid feeling car around. Has the famous Volvo turning circle (better than 850). Very solid and mostly reliable car.

What A Volvo Is
By johnnyd on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

All in all not a bad vehicle. I personally believe that this car is the epitome of what a Volvo really is. Simple, safe and effective at it's duties, it does nothing to stand out in one personal area. It does cost a pretty penny to service, and burns through tires quickly... but the tradeoffs in safety and comfort are worth it.