Used 1995 Volvo 940 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Vixen 19+ years (bought new in 1995)
By vixensmom

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I was in my 30's and my husband (an EE & Vette guy ) yawned at my boring choice. Fast forward 19+ yrs, he is just elated with Vixen at 325,000 miles, although she periodically needs some money thrown in, Our car doc said it was one of the best models made. Great engineering. We are waiting for a good electric car to come out, and if Vixen should die, we'll buy an old Volvo. This car has been terrific. She boxy, boring, and nothing flashy, but her turning radius is amazing! We love our Vixen

Turning Radius is amazing She has a huge trunk

I wish Volvo had kept the engineering quality of the 940 non-turbo

Volvo RIP
By VolVoLuv

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a co-worker. I drove this car for 40k+ miles with no major issues. It was great on gas, handled excellent, and was very comfortable. I unfortunately totaled it on my birthday a few days ago when someone ran a stop sign. I had a head on collision at 40 mph with the other car and then hit a telephone pole with the side of the car before coming to a stop. This car saved our lives and it will be missed. I have owned lots of cars including BMW, Honda, Toyota, even Hummer and know that none of them would have done this well in an accident. RIP Volvo 940. 164k miles and would have lasted at least 164k more Great car! Looking for another Volvo now.

Sunroof, Leather, Big Trunk. SAFETY of VOLVO!

Cup holders!!!!!

great basic transportation
By stanger

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

great car built like a rock tried and true tank awesome 2.3 inline 4 not fast but a great engine with never let you down

like the old volvos style so this is good smooth body lines classic volv styling

excess body roll around corners other than that great no complaints

nice little commuter
By pcal

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 1995 Volvo in jan of 08 it had 71,000 miles which is soooo low for a Volvo it now has 78,000 its a great car comfy looks classy

Nice black leather interior, ride quality rugged famous 2.3 tried and true 4 cyl

Acceleration is not good I always find myself at the end of the line in traffic I don't bother to pass anyone she just cant do it, gas mileage is below average for a 4 cyl

Over 200k Miles and Still Going Strong
By Julie

1995 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just graduated college and started a new job and now I want nothing more than to buy a new car. But I can't justify it because my '95 Volvo 940 just won't die! My parents bought it with 130k mi and I learned to drive on it about 6yrs ago. It's a bit sluggish so I'd recommend the turbo. The only major repairs we've done are a new alternator about 2 yrs ago, new gas pump about 5 yrs ago, and some belts and sensors last year. As long as you do your part to maintain them, they'll keep running for a loooong time. Great car for a teen since they're very safe and they couldn't get a speeding ticket if they tried. Also a great deal for the price.

Safety. I was rear ended by someone going about 40mph. Her minivan was totaled. You couldn't tell that I had been in an accident. The turning radius is unbelievable. Very roomy interior, without feeling like you're driving an old Buick. Very reliable with proper maintenance. High quality vehicle.

Rear wheel drive makes it awful to drive in WI winters. My next Volvo will be AWD. Parts can be hard to come by and rather expensive. No get- up-and-go. Even when I floor it, I get smoked by every other car on the road. This is easily fixed with an upgrade to turbo.