Used 1995 Volvo 940 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Vixen 19+ years (bought new in 1995)
By vixensmom

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I was in my 30's and my husband (an EE & Vette guy ) yawned at my boring choice. Fast forward 19+ yrs, he is just elated with Vixen at 325,000 miles, although she periodically needs some money thrown in, Our car doc said it was one of the best models made. Great engineering. We are waiting for a good electric car to come out, and if Vixen should die, we'll buy an old Volvo. This car has been terrific. She boxy, boring, and nothing flashy, but her turning radius is amazing! We love our Vixen

Turning Radius is amazing She has a huge trunk

I wish Volvo had kept the engineering quality of the 940 non-turbo

My new old Volvo
By catsofmany

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

My husband and I just bought a 1995 940 Volvo wagon with 247,000 miles on it. My car for the last 12 years and 174,000 miles has been a 2000 WS6 Trans Am. We bought it new and basically I drove it year round but avoided snow storms. Sadly a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold has taken the car off the road. So we searched for cheap used cars to get us by until we can fix the TA. I had read the reviews about the Volvo and we found one for $740.00. It just needed a driver front tie rod end but luckily it had been taken care of and all the brakes were new. Mind you, going from a Trans Am with incredible power even at the high mileage, incredible handling and the heaviness of the car…I was worried I would be miserable in anything else.

This little wagon handles wonderfully…great on gas…beautiful cloth seats…power windows, dr. locks…that all work. A heater so hot you could fry eggs on the dash…A/C needs to be recharged…Not as powerful by any means as my TA but goes right along and doesn’t fail at a hill. Very pleased with our old Volvo and even when my TA gets fixed, we’re going to keep it. Rated a 3 on reliability because we haven't had it very long.

Cup holders would be nice.

Volvo RIP
By VolVoLuv

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a co-worker. I drove this car for 40k+ miles with no major issues. It was great on gas, handled excellent, and was very comfortable. I unfortunately totaled it on my birthday a few days ago when someone ran a stop sign. I had a head on collision at 40 mph with the other car and then hit a telephone pole with the side of the car before coming to a stop. This car saved our lives and it will be missed. I have owned lots of cars including BMW, Honda, Toyota, even Hummer and know that none of them would have done this well in an accident. RIP Volvo 940. 164k miles and would have lasted at least 164k more Great car! Looking for another Volvo now.

Sunroof, Leather, Big Trunk. SAFETY of VOLVO!

Cup holders!!!!!

great basic transportation
By stanger

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

great car built like a rock tried and true tank awesome 2.3 inline 4 not fast but a great engine with never let you down

like the old volvos style so this is good smooth body lines classic volv styling

excess body roll around corners other than that great no complaints

nice little commuter
By pcal

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 1995 Volvo in jan of 08 it had 71,000 miles which is soooo low for a Volvo it now has 78,000 its a great car comfy looks classy

Nice black leather interior, ride quality rugged famous 2.3 tried and true 4 cyl

Acceleration is not good I always find myself at the end of the line in traffic I don't bother to pass anyone she just cant do it, gas mileage is below average for a 4 cyl