1995 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
Vixen 19+ years (bought new in 1995)
By vixensmom on 08/04/14 18:16 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I was in my 30's and my husband (an EE & Vette guy ) yawned at my boring choice. Fast forward 19+ yrs, he is just elated with Vixen at 325,000 miles, although she periodically needs some money thrown in, Our car doc said it was one of the best models made. Great engineering. We are waiting for a good electric car to come out, and if Vixen should die, we'll buy an old Volvo. This car has been terrific. She boxy, boring, and nothing flashy, but her turning radius is amazing! We love our Vixen

My new old Volvo
By catsofmany on 08/23/12 11:05 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

My husband and I just bought a 1995 940 Volvo wagon with 247,000 miles on it. My car for the last 12 years and 174,000 miles has been a 2000 WS6 Trans Am. We bought it new and basically I drove it year round but avoided snow storms. Sadly a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold has taken the car off the road. So we searched for cheap used cars to get us by until we can fix the TA. I had read the reviews about the Volvo and we found one for $740.00. It just needed a driver front tie rod end but luckily it had been taken care of and all the brakes were new. Mind you, going from a Trans Am with incredible power even at the high mileage, incredible handling and the heaviness of the carÂ…I was worried I would be miserable in anything else.

Volvo RIP
By VolVoLuv on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a co-worker. I drove this car for 40k+ miles with no major issues. It was great on gas, handled excellent, and was very comfortable. I unfortunately totaled it on my birthday a few days ago when someone ran a stop sign. I had a head on collision at 40 mph with the other car and then hit a telephone pole with the side of the car before coming to a stop. This car saved our lives and it will be missed. I have owned lots of cars including BMW, Honda, Toyota, even Hummer and know that none of them would have done this well in an accident. RIP Volvo 940. 164k miles and would have lasted at least 164k more Great car! Looking for another Volvo now.

great basic transportation
By stanger on 12/23/09 18:12 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

great car built like a rock tried and true tank awesome 2.3 inline 4 not fast but a great engine with never let you down

nice little commuter
By pcal on 03/04/09 19:45 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I picked up my 1995 Volvo in jan of 08 it had 71,000 miles which is soooo low for a Volvo it now has 78,000 its a great car comfy looks classy

Over 300,000
By Adam on 02/03/09 20:09 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased my 1995 940 with 80,000 miles and now eight years later have over 300,000 miles on it. All I can say is excellent. It's only left me stranded twice and still has the original engine, transmission, turbo, alternator, starter, fuel pump, and more. I love this car but after all those miles it has developed several oil leaks (one major) and several small problems that just are not cost effective to fix requiring me to sell it. I have no complaints driving it 220,000 miles of 300,000 is more than I could ever had hoped for. I am very sad to have to give it up but also have high expectations for my new used 1998 V70 XC. Thank you Volvo

Over 200k Miles and Still Going Strong
By Julie on 12/17/08 20:22 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I just graduated college and started a new job and now I want nothing more than to buy a new car. But I can't justify it because my '95 Volvo 940 just won't die! My parents bought it with 130k mi and I learned to drive on it about 6yrs ago. It's a bit sluggish so I'd recommend the turbo. The only major repairs we've done are a new alternator about 2 yrs ago, new gas pump about 5 yrs ago, and some belts and sensors last year. As long as you do your part to maintain them, they'll keep running for a loooong time. Great car for a teen since they're very safe and they couldn't get a speeding ticket if they tried. Also a great deal for the price.

Awesome brick
By iroll on 10/20/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

The Volvo 940 is a dependable, solid car that you can expect to own for over two decades with proper maintenance. It has a roomy interior but is thin enough to get through tight spots. Due the weight of the steel it takes a while to get the car moving, but once up to speed, it drives smoothly and is very maneuverable. Safe, long lasting, cheap to insure, and averages a respectable 22 mpg in the city. Can't go wrong with this car.

An A-1 Auto
By Robert Selvig on 06/28/06 11:59 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

My 940 has been my drive 99% of its 106,000 miles. In my 70+ years of driving no other car has come close to pure pleasure. It has yet to be dinged or dented and has always run on Michelins. The ride is solid, acceleration is adequate. I frequently cast an eye at newer cars, then look at my white wagon and ask myself "why should I?". Chances are I will keep this one.

Love my Swedish Brick!!!
By Ranchuk on 01/06/06 16:02 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

I come from a long line of Volvo fans and have owned three...two 240's & this '95 940 wagon (now at 150K mi). Although it's started to look a little worn around the edges, we still love it!! No, it's not exciting, it's not sexy, it's not exhilarating to drive, but it's comfy, safe and dependable and I'll take that over flash & excitement any time. With the rear seats down, the cargo area is huge, with a low sill and flat floor. The rear hatch swings up and out of the way...no head-banging like I deal with on our Acura MDX!. Unfortunately, the '95 940 was the last of the RWD Volvos that featured the most dependable drivetrain ever built, so it'll probably be my last brick.