1994 Volvo 940 Consumer Review: Good, solid car

1994 Volvo 940 - Consumer Review

Level I Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Good, solid car
By Des on

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Great seats, surprisingly good handling, great ride, smooth engine and transmission

Plastic interior bits are weak
By drjjjj
on 04/27/12 17:04 PM (PDT)

The only way you're getting 30 mpg is with a tail wing at 50mph with cruise control FYI! 24/25 is typical highway mpg @ 65-70!