I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle on
1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan
Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.
Favorite Features
Seats are very comfortable. The driving position is perfect for me, even without a tilt steering wheel. I like the way it rides and handles. A nice balance between American comfort and European road feel. The turbo engine has a pleasing deep tone at lower RPMs. Love how it sounds cruising around town. The brakes are phenomenal. The best performing brakes of any vehicle I've ever driven. Very strong, confident stopping ability. As bland looking as this car is, it has so much character and that's important to me. I don't like driving an appliance.
Suggested Improvements
I like the firm, crisp shifts from the transmission, but it just holds gears too darn long before upshifting. Not a problem during slow acceleration, but in moderate acceleration, it's downright aggravating and detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car. Wish fuel economy was better. I average only 20-21 MPG doing 100% rural driving on 55mph country roads. People over 6' tall just don't fit in this car, front or back. It's rather embarrassing.