Used 1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Old Nellie
By LandYacht

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I bought this car from a reseller with 30,000 and had an aftermarket sunroof put in. The reseller lost my trust by not taking care of a serious rotor warpage just after buying the car. I love the sunroof but it sometimes does leak. With now over 320,000 miles the car still drives beautifully. I have put 3 radiators and two water pumps into it, but everthing else just keeps on working. These cars are nearly bulletproof. Original trans, front end, bearings, valves, etc. Not exactly flashy, but well constructed. I would reccomend this car to anyone that has a long commute.

Favorite Features

Realitively non-problematic, 3rd row seat, tight steering (even after 320,000 miles), Volvo High Milage Club

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, better overhead light, more power

Simply the Best!
By Cheryl

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Great vehicle, lots of room for shopping, flea markets, comfy for passengers, exterior paint - perfect. The a/c just died and the parts alone are $1,000.00 labor probably $500 plus. Not sure if I'm going to fix it.

Favorite Features

All the room in the "way back" to fit my antique finds, my horse feed, etc.

Suggested Improvements

To the Volvo people: Give us "100,000 milers" a discount on parts and services to keep our valued Volvos on the road in perfect running condition.

Greatest Volvo ever
By Scott

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

The 940 distills all of Volvo's 20+ years of experience building midsize four-cylinder cars (staring with the 140) into a handsome, reliable, modern package. When I bought mine recently with 195k miles on it, I spent about $2500 to bring everything up to my exacting mechanical standards. It was worth it, because I expect to get it over 300,000 miles. I'm even thinking of trading my 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon on a 1993 940 sedan, I like the 940 so much better.

Favorite Features

Reliability, styling, honesty--no attempt at being flashy or pretentious, it is what it is

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, which you can get with the turbo version but potentially less reliable

Well Equipped...and more.
By surfripper

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Just picked up this ride and must say it drives and rides better than my 2001 Benz...and one heck of a lot cheaper to drive. I highly recommend this vehicle, but caution that if you're considering one, make sure it has all the trim pieces if that's important to you. I just spend $125 on two pieces of front window molding. Bottom line, parts aren't cheap, but hopefully the reliability will make up for it.

Favorite Features

Bun Warmers and Interior Roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders. There are none.

Tried and True
By greglsbuggy

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used with 117K on it in May of 2001 shortly after our daughter was born. We've got 207K on her now and she's still going strong. Got her back from the shop today, routine PM, belts, front oil seals, timing etc. Our mechanic thinks she's good for another 100K or more. Very reliable and comfortable, plenty of power, averages 24-26 MPG consistantly, oil consumption is modest at about a quart every 2K to 2.5K or so. The car has been a real value and gives a good miles per dollar ratio. We couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

The seats and the storage room are fantastic. Handles well on the rough roads of the North Maine Woods and it's a great highway cruiser. Does well for a boxey old wagon.

Suggested Improvements

The interior lighting could be better, especially the map lights. Having an ammeter, oil temp and oil pressure guages would be a good thing too.