1994 Volvo 940 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
The Brick
By usmcpilot on 01/21/11 17:10 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal. I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live. These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994. Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment. A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design. It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them. Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

I want to buy a new one but I can't
By Thomas Deprez on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 17 years my turbocharged 940 wagon will still give a new European Touring Car a run for it. I blew away my bosses new Infinity. I would give anything to be able to buy a new one today. 220,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 17 years I still have the original belts, hoses, and struts. I was rear ended by someone who totaled their vehicle. My Volvo sustained no damage! Now I understand Volvo was sold by Ford to a company in China. Who knows what it will become in the future. My wagon looks exactly like the picture. Now since spare parts are gradually being discontinued I will need to get a new car.

Great design, great execution
By Helen on 04/26/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Excellent: reliability, serviceability, visibility, 5-seat comfort (incl the best headrests), trunk space (esp with flat-folded seats), steering, handling (I upgraded to IPD sway bars, poly bushings, chassis braces, Bilstein shocks, 16" wheels), 51/49 f/r distribution and light weight makes the car very predictable. Mileage is fine if you accelerate softly and keep speeds below 65. 4 spd trans isn't efficient above 70, but the car is fine well above that. Controls are intuitive. Sunroof is huge. Paint is robust. Towing is strong. The car's design and capabilities have not been improved on... it's unique and excellent even 15 years and 180,000 miles on the road.

Well Equipped...and more.
By surfripper on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Just picked up this ride and must say it drives and rides better than my 2001 Benz...and one heck of a lot cheaper to drive. I highly recommend this vehicle, but caution that if you're considering one, make sure it has all the trim pieces if that's important to you. I just spend $125 on two pieces of front window molding. Bottom line, parts aren't cheap, but hopefully the reliability will make up for it.

Tried and True
By greglsbuggy on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used with 117K on it in May of 2001 shortly after our daughter was born. We've got 207K on her now and she's still going strong. Got her back from the shop today, routine PM, belts, front oil seals, timing etc. Our mechanic thinks she's good for another 100K or more. Very reliable and comfortable, plenty of power, averages 24-26 MPG consistantly, oil consumption is modest at about a quart every 2K to 2.5K or so. The car has been a real value and gives a good miles per dollar ratio. We couldn't be happier.

goes forever
By barn@jps.net on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought it new and maintain it according to the recommended service. It has been a great car for two kids and two to three dogs. The reliability has been excellent, though services can be expensive. Easy to do simple repairs yourselve. Relatively fun to drive with adequate acceleration, especially after the turbo kicks in. Great loading up stuff at the hardware store and vacations.

disappointed
By big blue brick on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love to drive this car, and I understand that parts/repairs on a luxury european can be big bucks, but I am tremendously disappointed in the reliability of this vehicle. I had hoped that it would live up to the reputation of running forever - but then, so would a chevy vega if one were constantly replacing it's parts. I have been stranded due to cooling system problems twice in one year, blown head gasket, rack and pinion replace, tranny cooler replaced, every head and taillight has fallen off at least once...I think the swedes that put this one together were dipping into the aqavit.