Used 1994 Volvo 940 Level II Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Was leery at first - now I am a fan
By oldcarandguy

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought this 940 turbo wagon with 203K. I have had to replace a few switches and a few gaskets, but I have to say - I like this car a lot. It handles well, is easy to work on, you can find parts very easy at a reasonable price, it is fun to drive, and the visibility all the way around is great. I drove it for a few months before deciding to invest in the minor repairs. The original owner had the service down regularly by Volvo and had the book stamped by a certified dealer, so I know it had all the critical services done when required. I like these old Volvo's - great reliable transportation.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, easy to work on. I like the built-in dog bars

Suggested Improvements

modernize it and build it again

So uncool, it's cool.
By ursan

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This being among the last of the classic RWD chassis, Volvo really did their homework. It's tight, refined and quite possible one of the finest production cars of the 1990's. Even a basic Turbo model will have power seats, A/C, rear child booster seats and the wagon can fit up to seven. Avoid the non-turbo if you can. 114 HP in a 3,300# vehicle will make you understand the phrase, "Volvos don't accelerate, they gain momentum." Turbo gets you 162 HP with only slightly less MPG. (worth it) With proper maintenance they can last a long long time (mine is now 20 years old) With a little skill and $$ they can easily be made to perform well (just ask David Letterman)

Favorite Features

Thought it's not really a feature, being a RWD car makes for a more predictable driving experience. With a longitudinally mounted engine makes for easier and often less expensive maintenance and repair than FWD contemporaries. Remember, this car has more in common with a Mercedes or BMW than with a Honda or Toyota. The 9 series has plenty of seating comfort for up to 5 (7 in the wagon with the rear facing seats) Factory 6 speaker stereo produces good sound and with its great build quality, interior rattles and squeaks are almost non existent. One last thing, this car is TALL people friendly. Thank you Sweden.

Suggested Improvements

Even with the turbo's 162 HP (@ ~7 PSI) this car is not very stellar in performance. With minor modifications, 200 HP (or more) is obtainable with even 300 HP not unheard of. (again, just search "Volvo David Letterman") The design aspects of this car is basically with a straight edge and a T-Square, so it'll never be a head turner. It's been said that the wagon is a better looking car than the sedan and I'd agree. As for other improvements, I can't really make any suggestions. The car, even in "Turbo" trim isn't very sophisticated. I think I'd appreciate it more if it had a manual 5 speed over the stock 4 speed automatic.

The Brick
By usmcpilot

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal. I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live. These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994. Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment. A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design. It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them. Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

Favorite Features

The 1994 Volvo Turbo Wagon has no equal in terms of looks, performance and most important, safety. Ask any scapyard how difficult it is to crush one in the press. This alone indicates the overall strength of the vehicle. Moreover, you can get out of the car after a long trip and actually walk. Volvo in Swedish means, "long life." Get the picture? The 700 series are almost identical so, you have choices and the performance of both the 700 turbo, and the 900's are near identical. I wish I could purchase new one's. They are bargins! You can land a very nice 940 turbo with low miles for a mere 2500.00 to 4500.00 So, you can buy new and spend alot or you can get one of these Volvo's.

Suggested Improvements

None.

I want to buy a new one but I can't
By Thomas Deprez

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 17 years my turbocharged 940 wagon will still give a new European Touring Car a run for it. I blew away my bosses new Infinity. I would give anything to be able to buy a new one today. 220,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 17 years I still have the original belts, hoses, and struts. I was rear ended by someone who totaled their vehicle. My Volvo sustained no damage! Now I understand Volvo was sold by Ford to a company in China. Who knows what it will become in the future. My wagon looks exactly like the picture. Now since spare parts are gradually being discontinued I will need to get a new car.

Favorite Features

Seats are awesome. Stereo is great even though at 17 years it has a cassette player instead of a CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Start building the car again. Only downside is that it only gets about 17 mpg on the highway.

Great design, great execution
By Helen

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Excellent: reliability, serviceability, visibility, 5-seat comfort (incl the best headrests), trunk space (esp with flat-folded seats), steering, handling (I upgraded to IPD sway bars, poly bushings, chassis braces, Bilstein shocks, 16" wheels), 51/49 f/r distribution and light weight makes the car very predictable. Mileage is fine if you accelerate softly and keep speeds below 65. 4 spd trans isn't efficient above 70, but the car is fine well above that. Controls are intuitive. Sunroof is huge. Paint is robust. Towing is strong. The car's design and capabilities have not been improved on... it's unique and excellent even 15 years and 180,000 miles on the road.

Favorite Features

Balanced handling, excellent steering, great cornering, gas pedal modulation is precise, excellent rear seat design, usable trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

European headlights, IPD sway bars, Cherry Turbo upper/lower chassis braces, Bilstein HD shocks, 16 wheels, HK TrafficPro GPS Navigation head unit, 400W 5 channel amp, Motorola BT phone kit, 12" sealed subwoofer installed in under-trunk storage space.