1994 Volvo 940 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
Tractor motor, truck tranny, scan design interior and plane jane exterior
By drjjjj on 04/27/12 17:01 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Comfy, quiet, torquey 4 banger with toyota truck transmission (yep, same one)! Very reliable when given basic maintenance, marginal if not! 1992- had SIPS side impact design that all use today, antilock, hydraulic motor mounts with motor to submerge in collision, ballistic seat belts and crumple interior! Also, limited slip rear end works well in snow! Neat car even today, $25K new back then tells ya somethin about the build quality/components! My air bag light is still off/functions 20 years later, the wagon is the size of an SUV and the 90- 92 is geared the tallest and so gets the best mileage -about 18/20 town and 24/26 highway on reg! Love the cars, had many, will get a prius next!

The Brick
By usmcpilot on 01/21/11 17:10 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal. I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live. These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994. Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment. A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design. It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them. Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

I want to buy a new one but I can't
By Thomas Deprez on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 17 years my turbocharged 940 wagon will still give a new European Touring Car a run for it. I blew away my bosses new Infinity. I would give anything to be able to buy a new one today. 220,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 17 years I still have the original belts, hoses, and struts. I was rear ended by someone who totaled their vehicle. My Volvo sustained no damage! Now I understand Volvo was sold by Ford to a company in China. Who knows what it will become in the future. My wagon looks exactly like the picture. Now since spare parts are gradually being discontinued I will need to get a new car.

Absolutely FANTASTIC
By Tom on 05/07/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought 2010, 157K miles, cost $2800, ONE owner car complete w/ orig manuals, service records up to 145K. What a beautiful car to drive. Bought 2007 Nissan Sentra new and is pure plastic. Literally cannot compare with Volvo as the Vovlo is a REAL car, quality built, drives like a dream and I know I am safe inside. I hope I never have to buy another car. This car was made with pride or workmanship, pride of design team, pride of manufacturer. This is the type of car China will never make... nor any other country ever again. I am so proud and pleased to have found this car.

Love this car
By malka on 01/15/10 18:19 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I've never owned a volvo before, always toyotas, but now that i have one, never going back. first of all, driver comfort. i can't wait to get out of my corolla, but the volvo 940 is extremely comfortable. Turning radius is amazing for a large car and i like the way the volvo is slower...makes me a more patient driver believe it or not. Fuel economy is a bummer, and i wish they made these cars in diesel. but i only drive occasionally and when i drive, i always take the volvo.

Great design, great execution
By Helen on 04/26/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Excellent: reliability, serviceability, visibility, 5-seat comfort (incl the best headrests), trunk space (esp with flat-folded seats), steering, handling (I upgraded to IPD sway bars, poly bushings, chassis braces, Bilstein shocks, 16" wheels), 51/49 f/r distribution and light weight makes the car very predictable. Mileage is fine if you accelerate softly and keep speeds below 65. 4 spd trans isn't efficient above 70, but the car is fine well above that. Controls are intuitive. Sunroof is huge. Paint is robust. Towing is strong. The car's design and capabilities have not been improved on... it's unique and excellent even 15 years and 180,000 miles on the road.

Volvo for life
By Zadar the Cow on 02/23/07 17:31 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is the car you can buy and hopefully, with proper maintenance, never have to buy another car. They don't rust, are fairly simple to work on, and parts are getting cheaper and cheaper. The cloth seats last much longer than leather and you can learn how to change every light bulb on the car in under 10 minutes.

Saved my friend in an accident
By Scott on 11/10/06 23:01 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I wrote back in March of 2005 that I hoped to keep my "new" 1994 940 wagon until it had at least 300k miles. Unfortunately, that was not to be. A couple of weeks ago, a giant Chevy Suburban SUV plowed into the right front passenger door of my 940. My friend who was driving my 940 simply opened the driver's door and walked away, with his only injuries being some cuts and bruises on his face caused by the airbag. In fact, despite the sheet metal being pushed in about two feet at the point of impact, all of the doors except for the one that was hit stayed closed and could be operated normally. The windshield wipers didn't even stop working! I quickly replaced it with another 1994 940 wagon.

Old Nellie
By LandYacht on 11/22/05 22:26 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I bought this car from a reseller with 30,000 and had an aftermarket sunroof put in. The reseller lost my trust by not taking care of a serious rotor warpage just after buying the car. I love the sunroof but it sometimes does leak. With now over 320,000 miles the car still drives beautifully. I have put 3 radiators and two water pumps into it, but everthing else just keeps on working. These cars are nearly bulletproof. Original trans, front end, bearings, valves, etc. Not exactly flashy, but well constructed. I would reccomend this car to anyone that has a long commute.

Simply the Best!
By Cheryl on 04/28/05 11:20 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Great vehicle, lots of room for shopping, flea markets, comfy for passengers, exterior paint - perfect. The a/c just died and the parts alone are $1,000.00 labor probably $500 plus. Not sure if I'm going to fix it.