Used 1994 Volvo 940 Level II Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable. The driving position is perfect for me, even without a tilt steering wheel. I like the way it rides and handles. A nice balance between American comfort and European road feel. The turbo engine has a pleasing deep tone at lower RPMs. Love how it sounds cruising around town. The brakes are phenomenal. The best performing brakes of any vehicle I've ever driven. Very strong, confident stopping ability. As bland looking as this car is, it has so much character and that's important to me. I don't like driving an appliance.

Suggested Improvements

I like the firm, crisp shifts from the transmission, but it just holds gears too darn long before upshifting. Not a problem during slow acceleration, but in moderate acceleration, it's downright aggravating and detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car. Wish fuel economy was better. I average only 20-21 MPG doing 100% rural driving on 55mph country roads. People over 6' tall just don't fit in this car, front or back. It's rather embarrassing.

A Beautiful Vehicle
By Michael

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Since its purchase, I have only had to take it to a mechanic twice. In 14 years, there were only a handful of mechanical problems. This car is set apart from those of other manufacturers because you can actually do the work yourself. The styling is simple and functional, the seats are very comfortable and the car keeps on looking brand new. I wish I had more than one.

Favorite Features

Widely spaced brake and accelerator pedals (I have large feet). Also, the ability to see the corners of the hood.

Suggested Improvements

Better glue holding the left-front marker light lens on.

Best Car
By kagnoten

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of a 940. Amazing car. Just hit 200,000. I'm going for 300,000. Love it and get compliments all of the time.

Favorite Features

Comfort and suspension.

My 940 volvo is super still
By VOLVO 940

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This volvo has been a dream car. i have 130,000 miles on it and it runs like new. i would gladly buy one just like it brand new to replace my other car if they made them this way again

Favorite Features

Its beautiful and comfortable and handles like a dream

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders please there are none

Just Really Nice!
By tfc

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Overall wondeful car. No problems. enjoy the power of the turbo- faster than my Benz and handles better.

Suggested Improvements

CD player. Added one...