1994 Volvo 940 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle on 05/29/12 16:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.

Mileage
By gentlehygienist on 08/27/10 14:28 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Have 287,000 miles on mine, routine maintenance, love it, husband keeps wanting to buy me new car, don't want one!

Good, solid car
By Des on 07/14/10 17:02 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Great car!
By johnparks on 12/31/08 14:31 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I have ever owned. It has the craftsmanship that European cars have sense lost and costs about as much as a Ford to fix! I drive all the time on long trips and it is very comfortable and reliable.

Decent car
By alexvt on 12/31/08 14:26 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely fine vehicle if you are looking for something that has high build quality and excellent reliability. This Volvo however is an incredibly bland car with absolutely no personality. I guess Volvo was trying to compete better in the US market with the 940 because it is essentially an American car disguised as Volvo, with cumbersome weight (as much as a Honda pilot SUV), rear-wheel drive, and absolutely embarrassing gas mileage (gets about the same gas mileage as my brother’s v8 f-150 with a 4 cylinder engine! Around 19 mpg mixed city/highway). The car is undrivable in the snow or even a little ice. I would recommend this car to someone who doesn’t necessarily enjoy driving

A Beautiful Vehicle
By Michael on 09/11/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Since its purchase, I have only had to take it to a mechanic twice. In 14 years, there were only a handful of mechanical problems. This car is set apart from those of other manufacturers because you can actually do the work yourself. The styling is simple and functional, the seats are very comfortable and the car keeps on looking brand new. I wish I had more than one.

Best Car
By kagnoten on 08/09/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of a 940. Amazing car. Just hit 200,000. I'm going for 300,000. Love it and get compliments all of the time.

My Fifth Volvo
By dtv on 12/02/07 14:07 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this 940 in the summer of '03 for $3500 with 197K and was driving about 30K miles per year back then. She's upto 259K now, and still drives like a dream. Never let me down. I'm trying to hold this one for 300K miles but I'm driving a lot less now, so it might take a little while longer than I planned. Rwcently purchased a used mercedes 190E. The build quality on this older volvo (IMHO) blows that of the Merc. away. No contest. This has been my fifth volvo, all of which went to over 200K when I sold them in fine running condition.

Can't go wrong with a 940
By Skip on 11/06/07 10:09 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Volvo, having owned Toyotas, Subarus and Hondas, and by far this is my favorite car. Solid build, reliable and not too expensive to maintain since online parts are plentiful and cheaper than dealerships - definitely find a private shop and avoid dealerships for repair work. I purchased my 940 car with 147k - it drove so smooth I had to have it. With routine maintenance I expect to drive it for years to come. These cars are hard to come by so if you find a good used one snatch it up!

Excellent car
By Troy on 09/21/07 20:47 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Volvo and I absolutely love it. I have heard only good things about them and now I get to experience them. I (third owner) bought it for $1,000 with 217,000 miles on it. The only thing thing that has been done to the engine was a head gasket replacement. Since I have bought it I have had to put new brakes and rotors all around, 1 rear wheel bearing and a fuel pump. I also had to completly redo the A/C system. I have put about $3500 into the car including the purchase price and I strongly feel the car will go another 2 to 300,000 miles. I love this car and I will continue to buy Volvos until I can't drive any more.