Used 1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.

Seats are very comfortable. The driving position is perfect for me, even without a tilt steering wheel. I like the way it rides and handles. A nice balance between American comfort and European road feel. The turbo engine has a pleasing deep tone at lower RPMs. Love how it sounds cruising around town. The brakes are phenomenal. The best performing brakes of any vehicle I've ever driven. Very strong, confident stopping ability. As bland looking as this car is, it has so much character and that's important to me. I don't like driving an appliance.

I like the firm, crisp shifts from the transmission, but it just holds gears too darn long before upshifting. Not a problem during slow acceleration, but in moderate acceleration, it's downright aggravating and detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car. Wish fuel economy was better. I average only 20-21 MPG doing 100% rural driving on 55mph country roads. People over 6' tall just don't fit in this car, front or back. It's rather embarrassing.

Mileage
By gentlehygienist

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Have 287,000 miles on mine, routine maintenance, love it, husband keeps wanting to buy me new car, don't want one!

Good, solid car
By Des

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Great seats, surprisingly good handling, great ride, smooth engine and transmission

Plastic interior bits are weak

Great car!
By johnparks

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I have ever owned. It has the craftsmanship that European cars have sense lost and costs about as much as a Ford to fix! I drive all the time on long trips and it is very comfortable and reliable.

Comfortable seats, cheap parts, Volvo name, clean styling.

None. Wish they still built volvos like this!!

Decent car
By alexvt

1994 Volvo 940 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely fine vehicle if you are looking for something that has high build quality and excellent reliability. This Volvo however is an incredibly bland car with absolutely no personality. I guess Volvo was trying to compete better in the US market with the 940 because it is essentially an American car disguised as Volvo, with cumbersome weight (as much as a Honda pilot SUV), rear-wheel drive, and absolutely embarrassing gas mileage (gets about the same gas mileage as my brotherís v8 f-150 with a 4 cylinder engine! Around 19 mpg mixed city/highway). The car is undrivable in the snow or even a little ice. I would recommend this car to someone who doesnít necessarily enjoy driving

Heated seats, I think the car's box-like shape is attractive in a bland conservative way. comfortable. High quality. Sturdy feeling (except at speeds above 65)

I don't know what Volvo was thinking adding rear wheel drive cars to the line-up. Much better fuel economy with a more powerful engine and more options on the base model