Used 1994 Volvo 940 Level I Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Mileage
By gentlehygienist

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Have 287,000 miles on mine, routine maintenance, love it, husband keeps wanting to buy me new car, don't want one!

Good, solid car
By Des

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Great seats, surprisingly good handling, great ride, smooth engine and transmission

Plastic interior bits are weak

Great car!
By johnparks

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I have ever owned. It has the craftsmanship that European cars have sense lost and costs about as much as a Ford to fix! I drive all the time on long trips and it is very comfortable and reliable.

Comfortable seats, cheap parts, Volvo name, clean styling.

None. Wish they still built volvos like this!!

Decent car
By alexvt

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely fine vehicle if you are looking for something that has high build quality and excellent reliability. This Volvo however is an incredibly bland car with absolutely no personality. I guess Volvo was trying to compete better in the US market with the 940 because it is essentially an American car disguised as Volvo, with cumbersome weight (as much as a Honda pilot SUV), rear-wheel drive, and absolutely embarrassing gas mileage (gets about the same gas mileage as my brotherís v8 f-150 with a 4 cylinder engine! Around 19 mpg mixed city/highway). The car is undrivable in the snow or even a little ice. I would recommend this car to someone who doesnít necessarily enjoy driving

Heated seats, I think the car's box-like shape is attractive in a bland conservative way. comfortable. High quality. Sturdy feeling (except at speeds above 65)

I don't know what Volvo was thinking adding rear wheel drive cars to the line-up. Much better fuel economy with a more powerful engine and more options on the base model

My Fifth Volvo
By dtv

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Bought this 940 in the summer of '03 for $3500 with 197K and was driving about 30K miles per year back then. She's upto 259K now, and still drives like a dream. Never let me down. I'm trying to hold this one for 300K miles but I'm driving a lot less now, so it might take a little while longer than I planned. Rwcently purchased a used mercedes 190E. The build quality on this older volvo (IMHO) blows that of the Merc. away. No contest. This has been my fifth volvo, all of which went to over 200K when I sold them in fine running condition.

Everything. This is IMHO, one of the most durable, safe, reliable cars ever built.

Not a thing. Do the scheduled maintenance and she won't let you down.