Used 1994 Volvo 940 Level I Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Tractor motor, truck tranny, scan design interior and plane jane exterior
By drjjjj

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Comfy, quiet, torquey 4 banger with toyota truck transmission (yep, same one)! Very reliable when given basic maintenance, marginal if not! 1992- had SIPS side impact design that all use today, antilock, hydraulic motor mounts with motor to submerge in collision, ballistic seat belts and crumple interior! Also, limited slip rear end works well in snow! Neat car even today, $25K new back then tells ya somethin about the build quality/components! My air bag light is still off/functions 20 years later, the wagon is the size of an SUV and the 90- 92 is geared the tallest and so gets the best mileage -about 18/20 town and 24/26 highway on reg! Love the cars, had many, will get a prius next!

Limited slip, seats, torque at avg driving rpm, build quality, safety for it's era-even today!

They don't make em like this now, so point is moot! Air conditioners are weak, they need to be tuned every 25K miles and mpg is marginal-could have been geared taller. Anything newer than 95, 16 valve, 6 cylinder, 5 cylinder motor, turbo problematic!1990-1995 volvo 240, 740 & 940 may just be the most reliable cars ever made and kinda hip too! The 740/940 are larger and more upscale. Picky Engineer

Absolutely FANTASTIC
By Tom

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Bought 2010, 157K miles, cost $2800, ONE owner car complete w/ orig manuals, service records up to 145K. What a beautiful car to drive. Bought 2007 Nissan Sentra new and is pure plastic. Literally cannot compare with Volvo as the Vovlo is a REAL car, quality built, drives like a dream and I know I am safe inside. I hope I never have to buy another car. This car was made with pride or workmanship, pride of design team, pride of manufacturer. This is the type of car China will never make... nor any other country ever again. I am so proud and pleased to have found this car.

Driving Comfort, good visibility all around, great cargo area, lots of safety lights

COFFEE cup or drink holders! Radio mediocre quality will change. AC regular. MAKE it again Volvo.

Love this car
By malka

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

I've never owned a volvo before, always toyotas, but now that i have one, never going back. first of all, driver comfort. i can't wait to get out of my corolla, but the volvo 940 is extremely comfortable. Turning radius is amazing for a large car and i like the way the volvo is slower...makes me a more patient driver believe it or not. Fuel economy is a bummer, and i wish they made these cars in diesel. but i only drive occasionally and when i drive, i always take the volvo.

turning radius. seat comfort.

Volvo for life
By Zadar the Cow

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

This is the car you can buy and hopefully, with proper maintenance, never have to buy another car. They don't rust, are fairly simple to work on, and parts are getting cheaper and cheaper. The cloth seats last much longer than leather and you can learn how to change every light bulb on the car in under 10 minutes.

The ability of the car to easily go 300,000 plus miles (with proper care!)

I wish Volvo would make this car again.

Saved my friend in an accident
By Scott

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

I wrote back in March of 2005 that I hoped to keep my "new" 1994 940 wagon until it had at least 300k miles. Unfortunately, that was not to be. A couple of weeks ago, a giant Chevy Suburban SUV plowed into the right front passenger door of my 940. My friend who was driving my 940 simply opened the driver's door and walked away, with his only injuries being some cuts and bruises on his face caused by the airbag. In fact, despite the sheet metal being pushed in about two feet at the point of impact, all of the doors except for the one that was hit stayed closed and could be operated normally. The windshield wipers didn't even stop working! I quickly replaced it with another 1994 940 wagon.

Safety, safety, safety. The 1994 940 doesn't even have all of Volvo's latest safety features like side airbags, yet I think that even a right-front passenger would have survived this accident, although possibly with some leg injuries.

Kind of pointless suggesting improvements to a car that's been out of production for over ten years, isn't it?