Used 1994 Volvo 940 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Was leery at first - now I am a fan
By oldcarandguy

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought this 940 turbo wagon with 203K. I have had to replace a few switches and a few gaskets, but I have to say - I like this car a lot. It handles well, is easy to work on, you can find parts very easy at a reasonable price, it is fun to drive, and the visibility all the way around is great. I drove it for a few months before deciding to invest in the minor repairs. The original owner had the service down regularly by Volvo and had the book stamped by a certified dealer, so I know it had all the critical services done when required. I like these old Volvo's - great reliable transportation.

Easy to drive, easy to work on. I like the built-in dog bars

modernize it and build it again

So uncool, it's cool.
By ursan

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This being among the last of the classic RWD chassis, Volvo really did their homework. It's tight, refined and quite possible one of the finest production cars of the 1990's. Even a basic Turbo model will have power seats, A/C, rear child booster seats and the wagon can fit up to seven. Avoid the non-turbo if you can. 114 HP in a 3,300# vehicle will make you understand the phrase, "Volvos don't accelerate, they gain momentum." Turbo gets you 162 HP with only slightly less MPG. (worth it) With proper maintenance they can last a long long time (mine is now 20 years old) With a little skill and $$ they can easily be made to perform well (just ask David Letterman)

Thought it's not really a feature, being a RWD car makes for a more predictable driving experience. With a longitudinally mounted engine makes for easier and often less expensive maintenance and repair than FWD contemporaries. Remember, this car has more in common with a Mercedes or BMW than with a Honda or Toyota. The 9 series has plenty of seating comfort for up to 5 (7 in the wagon with the rear facing seats) Factory 6 speaker stereo produces good sound and with its great build quality, interior rattles and squeaks are almost non existent. One last thing, this car is TALL people friendly. Thank you Sweden.

Even with the turbo's 162 HP (@ ~7 PSI) this car is not very stellar in performance. With minor modifications, 200 HP (or more) is obtainable with even 300 HP not unheard of. (again, just search "Volvo David Letterman") The design aspects of this car is basically with a straight edge and a T-Square, so it'll never be a head turner. It's been said that the wagon is a better looking car than the sedan and I'd agree. As for other improvements, I can't really make any suggestions. The car, even in "Turbo" trim isn't very sophisticated. I think I'd appreciate it more if it had a manual 5 speed over the stock 4 speed automatic.

I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.

Seats are very comfortable. The driving position is perfect for me, even without a tilt steering wheel. I like the way it rides and handles. A nice balance between American comfort and European road feel. The turbo engine has a pleasing deep tone at lower RPMs. Love how it sounds cruising around town. The brakes are phenomenal. The best performing brakes of any vehicle I've ever driven. Very strong, confident stopping ability. As bland looking as this car is, it has so much character and that's important to me. I don't like driving an appliance.

I like the firm, crisp shifts from the transmission, but it just holds gears too darn long before upshifting. Not a problem during slow acceleration, but in moderate acceleration, it's downright aggravating and detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car. Wish fuel economy was better. I average only 20-21 MPG doing 100% rural driving on 55mph country roads. People over 6' tall just don't fit in this car, front or back. It's rather embarrassing.

Tractor motor, truck tranny, scan design interior and plane jane exterior
By drjjjj

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Comfy, quiet, torquey 4 banger with toyota truck transmission (yep, same one)! Very reliable when given basic maintenance, marginal if not! 1992- had SIPS side impact design that all use today, antilock, hydraulic motor mounts with motor to submerge in collision, ballistic seat belts and crumple interior! Also, limited slip rear end works well in snow! Neat car even today, $25K new back then tells ya somethin about the build quality/components! My air bag light is still off/functions 20 years later, the wagon is the size of an SUV and the 90- 92 is geared the tallest and so gets the best mileage -about 18/20 town and 24/26 highway on reg! Love the cars, had many, will get a prius next!

Limited slip, seats, torque at avg driving rpm, build quality, safety for it's era-even today!

They don't make em like this now, so point is moot! Air conditioners are weak, they need to be tuned every 25K miles and mpg is marginal-could have been geared taller. Anything newer than 95, 16 valve, 6 cylinder, 5 cylinder motor, turbo problematic!1990-1995 volvo 240, 740 & 940 may just be the most reliable cars ever made and kinda hip too! The 740/940 are larger and more upscale. Picky Engineer

The Brick
By usmcpilot

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal. I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live. These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994. Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment. A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design. It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them. Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

The 1994 Volvo Turbo Wagon has no equal in terms of looks, performance and most important, safety. Ask any scapyard how difficult it is to crush one in the press. This alone indicates the overall strength of the vehicle. Moreover, you can get out of the car after a long trip and actually walk. Volvo in Swedish means, "long life." Get the picture? The 700 series are almost identical so, you have choices and the performance of both the 700 turbo, and the 900's are near identical. I wish I could purchase new one's. They are bargins! You can land a very nice 940 turbo with low miles for a mere 2500.00 to 4500.00 So, you can buy new and spend alot or you can get one of these Volvo's.

None.