1994 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
I'll Miss These Good Old Volvos When They're Gone for Good
By sdaigle on 05/29/12 16:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Love, love, love my 940! I bought this car in 2010 with 94k miles. It currently has 128k miles in 2012. I inherited many of its problems when I bought it. I get the impression it was not taken care of. This disappointment aside, the 940 is a great car. The transmission takes getting used to, however. It shifts very hard and holds gears WAY too long before upshifting. It actually makes the car feel much slower than it actually is. The turbo 4cyl. is a strong engine with good power. It's a very comfortable foreign car. Even as old as it is, people still tell me "That's a nice Volvo". I'd buy another in a heartbeat, except Ford ruined them! Not what they used to be, by far.

Tractor motor, truck tranny, scan design interior and plane jane exterior
By drjjjj on 04/27/12 17:01 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Comfy, quiet, torquey 4 banger with toyota truck transmission (yep, same one)! Very reliable when given basic maintenance, marginal if not! 1992- had SIPS side impact design that all use today, antilock, hydraulic motor mounts with motor to submerge in collision, ballistic seat belts and crumple interior! Also, limited slip rear end works well in snow! Neat car even today, $25K new back then tells ya somethin about the build quality/components! My air bag light is still off/functions 20 years later, the wagon is the size of an SUV and the 90- 92 is geared the tallest and so gets the best mileage -about 18/20 town and 24/26 highway on reg! Love the cars, had many, will get a prius next!

The Brick
By usmcpilot on 01/21/11 17:10 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal. I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live. These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994. Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment. A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design. It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them. Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

I want to buy a new one but I can't
By Thomas Deprez on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 17 years my turbocharged 940 wagon will still give a new European Touring Car a run for it. I blew away my bosses new Infinity. I would give anything to be able to buy a new one today. 220,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 17 years I still have the original belts, hoses, and struts. I was rear ended by someone who totaled their vehicle. My Volvo sustained no damage! Now I understand Volvo was sold by Ford to a company in China. Who knows what it will become in the future. My wagon looks exactly like the picture. Now since spare parts are gradually being discontinued I will need to get a new car.

Mileage
By gentlehygienist on 08/27/10 14:28 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Have 287,000 miles on mine, routine maintenance, love it, husband keeps wanting to buy me new car, don't want one!

Good, solid car
By Des on 07/14/10 17:02 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Absolutely FANTASTIC
By Tom on 05/07/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Bought 2010, 157K miles, cost $2800, ONE owner car complete w/ orig manuals, service records up to 145K. What a beautiful car to drive. Bought 2007 Nissan Sentra new and is pure plastic. Literally cannot compare with Volvo as the Vovlo is a REAL car, quality built, drives like a dream and I know I am safe inside. I hope I never have to buy another car. This car was made with pride or workmanship, pride of design team, pride of manufacturer. This is the type of car China will never make... nor any other country ever again. I am so proud and pleased to have found this car.

Love this car
By malka on 01/15/10 18:19 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

I've never owned a volvo before, always toyotas, but now that i have one, never going back. first of all, driver comfort. i can't wait to get out of my corolla, but the volvo 940 is extremely comfortable. Turning radius is amazing for a large car and i like the way the volvo is slower...makes me a more patient driver believe it or not. Fuel economy is a bummer, and i wish they made these cars in diesel. but i only drive occasionally and when i drive, i always take the volvo.

Great car!
By johnparks on 12/31/08 14:31 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

This car is the best I have ever owned. It has the craftsmanship that European cars have sense lost and costs about as much as a Ford to fix! I drive all the time on long trips and it is very comfortable and reliable.

Decent car
By alexvt on 12/31/08 14:26 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely fine vehicle if you are looking for something that has high build quality and excellent reliability. This Volvo however is an incredibly bland car with absolutely no personality. I guess Volvo was trying to compete better in the US market with the 940 because it is essentially an American car disguised as Volvo, with cumbersome weight (as much as a Honda pilot SUV), rear-wheel drive, and absolutely embarrassing gas mileage (gets about the same gas mileage as my brother’s v8 f-150 with a 4 cylinder engine! Around 19 mpg mixed city/highway). The car is undrivable in the snow or even a little ice. I would recommend this car to someone who doesn’t necessarily enjoy driving

1 2 3 4 5 next »