1993 Volvo 940 Consumer Review: Last of An Era

1993 Volvo 940 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic)

Last of An Era
By James Russell on

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this '93 Turbo as a nanny wagon in in '98 used w/50K. Now has 134K on it and is a primary family car. It is reliable and relatively cheap to operate, very comfortable and cruises comfortably on the highway. I've replaced the radiator; had the upper main and water pump done as well as the timing belt at 125K. AC has been serviced and works fine. If you keep up with the maintenance as I do, this car will run for a long time. The B230F engine won't quit on you w/some TLC. The turbo give the car just enough power for good highway cruising. This is one of the old Volvo car corporation's last cars -- a rear- wheel drive classic for which they became famous. It's built like a tank.

Favorite Features

It is just a very comfortable driving car -- a great rear wheel drive classic. I love the turn radius. It has a huge cargo compartment -- the rear door struts usually need replacing, but this is no big deal.

Suggested Improvements

A friend of mine put in new springs and shocks in the back -- you can get these from ipdusa.com. I replaced the front shocks, which improved the ride.