Used 1993 Volvo 940 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

940 Turbo - The Pinnacle of Volvo Engineering
By ainlay

1993 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned every model of volvo up and down the line. My favorite being the classic 240 model but when I drove the 940, that was all over. I am now a 940t guy. It has the same extremely reliable 4 cyl engine that came in the 240 & 740. Very easy to work on and parts are cheap. The suspension was greatly improved over the 240 and so was the interior. With 375,000 miles on my 940turbo it drives as it did with 25,000 miles on the odometer. Have not had to do nothing but routine maintenance. This car has the get up & go for when you need it and is really fun to drive. I will be hanging on to mine along with my 244 and 245 for as long as I can. Nothing else has caught my eye.

Favorite Features

The B230FT "Red Brick" Engine. This is prehabs the greatest engine ever built along the lines with Toyota's 22R-E and the Chevy 350.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements. Volvo after this went downhill. Yes, their cars are "prettier than ever" but they do not have that same kind of quality and workmanship. The 240/740/940 series was the highlight of Volvo's existence.

Best ever
By Volvo 940T turbo sed

1993 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has never been outside overnight in winter or summer the exterior is in excellent condition, when you need to pass hit the gas and it goes like a racing car wow! We love it. Faults: husband is tall and we are older and have difficulty getting in and out as it is low to the ground as it does not have a tilt steering wheel either; the ac does not do the job at all, checked by Volvo dealer and still does not work; to move seat on passenger side takes great effort. It has the best CD, music system which can be adjusted to your liking. Have looked at new cars, nothing compares we are keeping it, by the way it has only 54,000 miles. Still looks like new. Thanks Volvo

Favorite Features

the paint job , the climate control system other than the ac is excellent, when the turbo kicks in it has great pick-up; the radio and CD system

Suggested Improvements

fix the ac and put auto seats for the passenger as standard and tilt steering wheel

Best car I have had
By Steve

1993 Volvo 940 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

Hi I live in Australia , I have had many car over the years , last year even bought a ban new Suzuki Vitra $37000 I sold it a year late. so I come across this Volvo 940 for $600 , and I is the best car I have had, I mean value of money. For a 2.3 L, it goes pretty well. I use it everyday and it's done about 210,000 km , and still going strong. Cars don't last with me because I drive them real hard , but this Volvo is so tough. I love it and I would not trade it for anything.

Favorite Features

It turns on a dime. Nice smooth ride. great top speed. all the switches are in the right place easy to get too. head room getting in and out of the car is good. The front and tail lights are just amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Really , I would not change anything about it , for me it perfect. maybe I would change the interior color that's it.

My 940 can do anything.
By Michael

1993 Volvo 940 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because it can literally do anything. I only take it to a Volvo specialty mechanic because anyone else only causes problems when they go "fishing", I plan on keeping this car for a long time. I have 146,000 miles and it has a lot of life left.

Favorite Features

My Power Sunroof and the extremely comfortable leather seats, ideal for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

The car is from Sweden, and it was a nightmare in snow - until I bought snow tires. Now it is fantastic.

Great Car!
By mg940turbo

1993 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Mine has 268,000 miles and I drive it every day. I trust it for road trips and commuting to work. The old plastic in the interior gets noisy but the radio drowns it out. Not very quick but the turbo helps. Overall, great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Power Everything. Reliability. Safety.

Suggested Improvements

Less Plastic.