Used 1993 Volvo 940 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Swedish Brick, And As Solid As One.
By Giancarlo

1993 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

If you have the chance of buying one of these with extremely low mileage, or at least below 100K, do it... particularly if it's a one-owner. Last of the rear wheel drive Volvos, built like nothing else, dependable, and easy to fix and diagnose. It will give you years and years more of faithful service, and doesn't really look that bad because even back in the day when I bought mine new, it wasn't stylish because it was built for function with tremendous materials like leather and paint on mine. Mileage isn't startling by today's standards, but I still average 23 overall and maintenance isn't a big thing with the electronic ignition. Even if the timing belt breaks it won't destroy the engine because it's what's referred to as a "run free" engine. It happened to me once and all that had to be done at the time of the new belt was to align the notches for the cam and crankshaft and reinstall a new timing belt.

940 Turbo - The Pinnacle of Volvo Engineering
By ainlay

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned every model of volvo up and down the line. My favorite being the classic 240 model but when I drove the 940, that was all over. I am now a 940t guy. It has the same extremely reliable 4 cyl engine that came in the 240 & 740. Very easy to work on and parts are cheap. The suspension was greatly improved over the 240 and so was the interior. With 375,000 miles on my 940turbo it drives as it did with 25,000 miles on the odometer. Have not had to do nothing but routine maintenance. This car has the get up & go for when you need it and is really fun to drive. I will be hanging on to mine along with my 244 and 245 for as long as I can. Nothing else has caught my eye.

The B230FT "Red Brick" Engine. This is prehabs the greatest engine ever built along the lines with Toyota's 22R-E and the Chevy 350.

No suggested improvements. Volvo after this went downhill. Yes, their cars are "prettier than ever" but they do not have that same kind of quality and workmanship. The 240/740/940 series was the highlight of Volvo's existence.

300K + & Still Going
By eshipman

1993 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

We have over 300,000 miles on our 940. It has been the best car I have ever owned. It's a bit long in the tooth now, but perfect for my son to drive. We bought it used in '96 with 30K. No major issues. We have always kept up maint., I will buy another olvo soon!

Milage, longevity

cup holders

Best built car I have owned
By Jim

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought this car as a Mommy mobile after our first child was born. She is now looking forward to "inheriting" this car. This is by far the best built car we have ever owned. At 233,000 miles it is still going strong with barely anything more than routine maintenance. In that time we have replaced a few window switches, radiator, hoses, water pump,heater control valve, OD relay and sunroof motor, everything else is normal tuneup and wear items. If Volvo still made them I would buy a new one. They are simple and utilitarian in terms of luxuries. Easy to drive handles well in parking lots, traffic and on twisty roads. Great in rain and snow too. This car has become one of the family.

Safety, reliability, turning radius, sport wheels, good handling

Improve on the fuel economy and start making them again.

Best ever
By Volvo 940T turbo sed

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has never been outside overnight in winter or summer the exterior is in excellent condition, when you need to pass hit the gas and it goes like a racing car wow! We love it. Faults: husband is tall and we are older and have difficulty getting in and out as it is low to the ground as it does not have a tilt steering wheel either; the ac does not do the job at all, checked by Volvo dealer and still does not work; to move seat on passenger side takes great effort. It has the best CD, music system which can be adjusted to your liking. Have looked at new cars, nothing compares we are keeping it, by the way it has only 54,000 miles. Still looks like new. Thanks Volvo

the paint job , the climate control system other than the ac is excellent, when the turbo kicks in it has great pick-up; the radio and CD system

fix the ac and put auto seats for the passenger as standard and tilt steering wheel

• SUV