1993 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
940 Turbo - The Pinnacle of Volvo Engineering
By ainlay on 05/15/14 09:47 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned every model of volvo up and down the line. My favorite being the classic 240 model but when I drove the 940, that was all over. I am now a 940t guy. It has the same extremely reliable 4 cyl engine that came in the 240 & 740. Very easy to work on and parts are cheap. The suspension was greatly improved over the 240 and so was the interior. With 375,000 miles on my 940turbo it drives as it did with 25,000 miles on the odometer. Have not had to do nothing but routine maintenance. This car has the get up & go for when you need it and is really fun to drive. I will be hanging on to mine along with my 244 and 245 for as long as I can. Nothing else has caught my eye.

300K + & Still Going
By eshipman on 05/12/11 03:59 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

We have over 300,000 miles on our 940. It has been the best car I have ever owned. It's a bit long in the tooth now, but perfect for my son to drive. We bought it used in '96 with 30K. No major issues. We have always kept up maint., I will buy another olvo soon!

Best built car I have owned
By Jim on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought this car as a Mommy mobile after our first child was born. She is now looking forward to "inheriting" this car. This is by far the best built car we have ever owned. At 233,000 miles it is still going strong with barely anything more than routine maintenance. In that time we have replaced a few window switches, radiator, hoses, water pump,heater control valve, OD relay and sunroof motor, everything else is normal tuneup and wear items. If Volvo still made them I would buy a new one. They are simple and utilitarian in terms of luxuries. Easy to drive handles well in parking lots, traffic and on twisty roads. Great in rain and snow too. This car has become one of the family.

Best ever
By Volvo 940T turbo sed on 08/29/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has never been outside overnight in winter or summer the exterior is in excellent condition, when you need to pass hit the gas and it goes like a racing car wow! We love it. Faults: husband is tall and we are older and have difficulty getting in and out as it is low to the ground as it does not have a tilt steering wheel either; the ac does not do the job at all, checked by Volvo dealer and still does not work; to move seat on passenger side takes great effort. It has the best CD, music system which can be adjusted to your liking. Have looked at new cars, nothing compares we are keeping it, by the way it has only 54,000 miles. Still looks like new. Thanks Volvo

Best car I have had
By Steve on 08/25/10 05:35 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 S 4dr Sedan

Hi I live in Australia , I have had many car over the years , last year even bought a ban new Suzuki Vitra $37000 I sold it a year late. so I come across this Volvo 940 for $600 , and I is the best car I have had, I mean value of money. For a 2.3 L, it goes pretty well. I use it everyday and it's done about 210,000 km , and still going strong. Cars don't last with me because I drive them real hard , but this Volvo is so tough. I love it and I would not trade it for anything.

My 940 can do anything.
By Michael on 07/18/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because it can literally do anything. I only take it to a Volvo specialty mechanic because anyone else only causes problems when they go "fishing", I plan on keeping this car for a long time. I have 146,000 miles and it has a lot of life left.

Great Car!
By mg940turbo on 10/08/09 14:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Mine has 268,000 miles and I drive it every day. I trust it for road trips and commuting to work. The old plastic in the interior gets noisy but the radio drowns it out. Not very quick but the turbo helps. Overall, great vehicle!

Last of An Era
By James Russell on 08/15/09 05:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this '93 Turbo as a nanny wagon in in '98 used w/50K. Now has 134K on it and is a primary family car. It is reliable and relatively cheap to operate, very comfortable and cruises comfortably on the highway. I've replaced the radiator; had the upper main and water pump done as well as the timing belt at 125K. AC has been serviced and works fine. If you keep up with the maintenance as I do, this car will run for a long time. The B230F engine won't quit on you w/some TLC. The turbo give the car just enough power for good highway cruising. This is one of the old Volvo car corporation's last cars -- a rear- wheel drive classic for which they became famous. It's built like a tank.

The Volvo 940, A Sherman Tank
By Christian on 07/18/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

This car, though not a track star, is one of the most reliable vehicles i've ever known. It only had 1 owner before me, my parents and i bought it from them in 2008 with 206,000 miles on it. This thing ran great. Fuel mileage not exactly desirable but when you get into a crash, as i recently did, this thing holds up like no other. The interior was great, engine and tranny very reliable and smooth. My major gripe is the power. only 114 horses...really. The paint held up until the day it was totaled and so did everything else. At 219,000 miles i was robbed of this vehicle by a careless driver. I think it could have made i to 300,000 miles. If you maintain it, it will take care of you.

my volvo "Charlie"
By volvogirl on 03/20/09 20:19 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love my car. It is a trooper, let me tell you. 272,000 miles and i drive 2 hours a day commuting to work 5or6 days a week. that is incredible. give me any modern car that will be able to do that 16 years from now. I had a 2001 bmw 530i for a while, but you know what at the end of the day my volvo was far more reliable. That is somethin' to say. And i am spoiled to having seat heaters. Every car should have them. Here's to many more years of a loving relationship with my big red car.