Used 1992 Volvo 940 GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

would buy 1 million times over.
By cpat93

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

At 226,000 miles this car looks and performs as new. All original parts alternator ,water pump, steering pump, and R12 charged ac system which still works.Paint has faded despite being waxed ever months but sits in sun alot. Interior looks new Leather seats get treated to conditioner so their not cracked like others its age. Had many serious offers to sell but would rather saw off my right hand .I also own a 95 mercedes benz e320 but find myself always driving the volvo, because it has more feature such as lumbar, heated seats, slip diff. Will be trading the e320 for a volvo 960. One of the last true volvos , couldn't pay me to buy a modern one.

Favorite Features

Supportive heated leather seats. Design of car Reliability Firm handling. Fuel efficiency up to 29mpg lowest 22

Suggested Improvements

forget about driving in the snow. Tilt steering wheel 940s before 93 had no squirt holes in con rods for oil so they often develop a piston slap where the piston raddles in the sleve until engine is fully warmed. Shouldn't be a problem because volvo has cast iron sleves.

92 944GL SDN
By Ken Nace

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is my Eighth Volvo. Bought with 126,000 miles, now has 132,000 miles. I am always pleased with the comfort of Volvos. Just as reliable as a Mercedes, but half the cost to maintain. Plan in keeping this one for many years. Will most definitely own more of them in the future.

Favorite Features

Understated styling, Ease of maintainence, seat comfort, and relability.

Suggested Improvements

Just a little more pep, esp. around town would have been nice.

940 92
By jonas

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

this car is as good as they get, there is not a single more reliable car in the world, mine has done 300,000 miles!

I wish I could buy another!
By Timothy

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 87,000. I have put into it about 3,800 dollars in almost ten years. It now has 216,000 miles and still runs like the day I got it. I have never missed an oil change or fluid change and have done then at 3,000 miles not the recomended 5,000. parts can be exspensive but look on the internet and get the part you need for 50- 75% off and have you local shop install it.

Favorite Features

Stops on a dime and can turn in around in a New York alley. Leather is great I jsut got my first seam problem in 2004. It is reliable and save and saved my family 7 days after we got it. We had a head-on accident at 40 MPH wiht a truck, We all walked away !

Suggested Improvements

More pep. IT is a little sluggist. Either 6 cylinders or a turbo needed. Fuel is 23MPG, not bad.

WHAT AN AWESOME CAR!!!!
By volvo for life...

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My dad bought his 940GL used 2 years agoat 114,000 miles. Now it has 140,000. The previous owner took such good care of this car. Since my dad bought it, he's had to replace nothing, not even brake pads.He drives the car 40 miles to work on way everyday and its never left him stranded. The ride is unsurpassed. I own a '90 240DL and this car puts mine to shame.

Favorite Features

I love everything about this care.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe alittle more pep in the engine since this car is on the heavy side and a better sound system.