Used 1992 Volvo 940 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
92 944GL SDN
By Ken Nace

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is my Eighth Volvo. Bought with 126,000 miles, now has 132,000 miles. I am always pleased with the comfort of Volvos. Just as reliable as a Mercedes, but half the cost to maintain. Plan in keeping this one for many years. Will most definitely own more of them in the future.

Favorite Features

Understated styling, Ease of maintainence, seat comfort, and relability.

Suggested Improvements

Just a little more pep, esp. around town would have been nice.

Not American built
By Phil W.

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Quality and ease of use properly describe the 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo. I bought this car with 126,000 miles. It was in excellent condition and still is. A little bit of care is all that is needed. It's amazing the power of the 4 cylinder turbo. Parts may be a little expensive but the ease of replacement and the longevity of the effected repairs is well worth the price. If this were an american car it would be in the junk yard by now.

Suggested Improvements

6 cylinder turbo

would buy 1 million times over.
By cpat93

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

At 226,000 miles this car looks and performs as new. All original parts alternator ,water pump, steering pump, and R12 charged ac system which still works.Paint has faded despite being waxed ever months but sits in sun alot. Interior looks new Leather seats get treated to conditioner so their not cracked like others its age. Had many serious offers to sell but would rather saw off my right hand .I also own a 95 mercedes benz e320 but find myself always driving the volvo, because it has more feature such as lumbar, heated seats, slip diff. Will be trading the e320 for a volvo 960. One of the last true volvos , couldn't pay me to buy a modern one.

Favorite Features

Supportive heated leather seats. Design of car Reliability Firm handling. Fuel efficiency up to 29mpg lowest 22

Suggested Improvements

forget about driving in the snow. Tilt steering wheel 940s before 93 had no squirt holes in con rods for oil so they often develop a piston slap where the piston raddles in the sleve until engine is fully warmed. Shouldn't be a problem because volvo has cast iron sleves.

Black Stallion
By bkook74

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had this car for 2 years, and so far so good. As long as you are aware of regular maintenance schedule for this car, it will be very good to you (i.e., timing belt every 50k, oil change every 4k, etc.). I've replaced one pair of tires for rear, changed driver side window regulator, passenger side window switch and moonroof switch. I actually need to recharge AC and change AC blower, simply because this is an old car. I think any car over 15 years old need these things changed. As far as driving, this is one of the best I ever had. I can definitely use more power, but I don't drive like a teenager any more, so the car is keeping me in check.

Favorite Features

Very heavy, feels rock solid in windy highway driving. Very spacious trunk and interior. (You can fit 4 golf club bags and 4 people in one car.) Easy to take a part for repair. This car is one jigsaw puzzle, awesome!

Suggested Improvements

More leg room at the back. Awkward rear seat (it sits really high, kinda weird position). Better plastic parts for interior. They degrade and fall apart. It's almost bio-degradable.

940 92
By jonas

1992 Volvo 940 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

this car is as good as they get, there is not a single more reliable car in the world, mine has done 300,000 miles!